PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It does look nice doesn't it...... I had to buy the red to match the silk, but now my eyes keep sort of sliding towards that fabulous deep emerald green.... ;):D
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2016 at 8:47PM
    Options
    Hi again, I've seen a nice wool on Love Knitting that I like. It's Manos del Uruguay Alegria and is 4 ply 75% merino. Can someone have a look and see if it's suitable. Also would I need 2 balls or would 1 be enough - there are 425m in a ball. I'm off to look at needles now xx

PS Love Knitting have bamboo circular needles - which length will I need and be easiest to work with?
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    plumduff55 Loveknitting is actually an American Company. Sometimes their needles come direct from the US. You may have to wait longer. I bought some sewing up needles and they were a couple of weeks longer than my wool.

One thing I did not have to wait in for them they came through the letterbox.

I love the look of these hitchhikers but my winter coat has a big furry hood so I could not wear one.

Once I got the hang of the hats They were easy so I made 3. Two for Charity and ine for DGD.

Just started another jumper for myself. It is the second bag of the baby wool that had so many knots. This one is knitting up well and no knots so far.

I did not get on very well with the snowman. It was all spiky. Will try again next year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I finished another hitchiker last night but this one took a lot longer, very many more stitches to do and was hard on my hands and shoulders with 3 mm needles. My own fault I suppose as my needles were steaming along and I could not put it down, I used golden peacock sock yarn from etsy and it has turned out stunning with a lovely drape, the gradations in the colour are fabulous as is the hint of sparkle. It is good enough to give as a stand alone present to a dd for her birthday. I have another cake to work through, called hummingbird. I will have a rest for a couple of days and then start on that one, but slowly, for my other dd

So now, for today, I have no knitting and need to rest a bit as I have been busy getting ready for a family gathering at my house. Spinning wool, for me, is as good as resting, change is as good as a rest, so I`ll be doing that. The price of good yarn shocked me somewhat, so when I have finished my present pure wool batch, then I will start on making a fine yarn with drape and for that I have various fibre mixes already bought in, you can get your own mix made from `world of wool` including silk etc the maximum price for 500g is under £50 and that would be for luxury eg including cashmere but is £35 for 50% mulberry silk and merino, just merino on its own is under £19.

I feel lost without knitting on my needles
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    I really want to try spinning. Already bought some fibre off ravelry but have no spindle, lol.

Any recommendations for what to look out for?

Also, kittie, what shop did you get your sock yarn from?
  • Apollonia
    Options
    Loveknitting is actually an American Company. Sometimes their needles come direct from the US. You may have to wait longer. I bought some sewing up needles and they were a couple of weeks longer than my wool.

LoveKnitting (or Lovecrochet/Lovecrafts) is a UK company that launched in 2012. Since opening in London and Manchester, they added USA and German stores. So some items may be imported but you are still buying from a UK company with UK consumer protection.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm knitting a turquoise to black gradient hitchhiker for me; a black hat for younger son; a fawny/brown mix hat for the SIL; fingerless gloves in the same for the SIL; and got waiting my ruby silk for another hitchhiker. I have knitting executive stress!!
  • magicdance
    Options
    Hello there! I'm dropping by because I've decided, rather than to buy him expensive apparel that doesn't fit (like last year), to knit my father a scarf for Christmas. Thing is, I have nothing to knit with. What's the cheapest place online to get needles and yarn, and what would be a fairly easy festive pattern to follow?
    Christmas Fund: £10/£70 (for the few remaining gifts + decorations)
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    Hi magicdance. I'd go with wool warehouse for supplies as they have free shipping over £25.

Searching on Ravelry I found this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/preppie-scarf though it might be a bit fiddly to work length-wise rather than width-wise (on the plus side, not that many rows to do)

There's also this which doesn't involve needles at all: http://www.fiberfluxblog.com/2014/01/free-knitting-patternarm-knit-tassel.html

Either one could be done in Christmas colours. Unless you want to get into intarsia or fair isle to work motifs into the scarf (and I wouldn't, this close to Christmas), that's probably your best bet for festive.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been knitting a fairly plain cardigan with set in sleeves and I decided to try knitting the sleeves from the top down. I've read about it before but couldn't get my head around it. This time it suddenly clicked and I'm really pleased with the way it looks especially as I used a three needle bind-off for the shoulder seam, so the whole thing looks dead neat.

But oh my! it does make the knitting heavy when you've got the weight of the whole garment on the needles. Would it help to switch to circulars used back and forth just to distribute the weight a bit better?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback