Car hire on foreign/new UK licence

2»

Comments

The only one that doesn't appear to state a minimum limit for holding a licence is Enterprise.
    https://enterprise.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3184/sno/0

It probably was Enterprise. It was from Glasgow airport last year, the main thing I remember is the row of car rental places and enquiring at them.....just not sure which one it was!

I'll check with the guy today.

Wasn't on my card, otherwise I'd already know.
  • Originally posted by Takecareofthepennies
    If it is an EU licence, she can drive indefinitely anyway and there is no need to exchange it.

later posted by in a link from Takecareofthepennies
    A valid community licence issued on the strength of a driving test within the EC/EEA, will allow you to drive in GB for a set period.

So I think it's safe to assume that as she is now a UK resident, she can drive here indefinitely for a set period.

• So I think it's safe to assume that as she is now a UK resident, she can drive here indefinitely for a set period.

That period being upto the age of 70. Of course I don't know how old the lady is ...

And Shaun: I wasn't assuming anything, but asked the question twice where the licence was issued. You are right, though, that I should have picked up on the "non-exchangable" bit.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the suggestion of Enterprise... I'll look into it.

I thought the original post was quite clear that it said her licence was non-exchangeable. Therefore it is not an EU licence, and it is not from any of the various countries that can be exchanged for UK licences. If she were just a visitor she would of course be able to drive (she does drive when we visit other countries), but as a resident her licence is pretty much useless. I am fully aware of the rules, i.e. that she will need to get a provisional UK licence and pass a driving test before she can drive here.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills