Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• Hi! Yes, thanks for that advice. You were correct! I contacted two different travel insurance companies, and both said that neither of the policies would be valid. What robbers!! We have now taken out insurance for the full 90 days. Our bank wanted a fortune for us to 'add on' to our 30 days. We are so ripped off by these companies.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • thanks for that last bit of info katiehound. never realised before that if you had the 31days you could NOT 'just stay for an extra day or two over' that time period!! I've actually done that!! We can't win can we????
  • I wonder what would happen if you went on holiday on a ONE WAY ticket (being covered with your 31 day policy from bank) meanwhile after say, 10 days on holiday you took ill and were in hospital or whatever would this policy still cover you even though you had'nt yet booked your flight back to u.k.???
    The list of questions just goes on and on and on hahaha!!!
  • dw96
    dw96 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2017 at 10:21AM
    I'm looking at traveling to the USA. But many of the providers that I've found, do not include flight cancellation. I.e. If I'm taking ill and can't board the flight from Blighty, I'm on my own..

Is it possibly to find insurers who "only" provide flight cancellation coverage?

I've some options but having a pre-condition makes finding providers a hassle, and so I'm considering one without trip cancellation (just medical insurance coverage).

Many thanks in advance.

---- EDIT ----

It looks like the best option is searching for the cheapest possible insurance that covers cancellation (to the level covering your trip!) and then purchase that in addition. It looks like it will be about £200 from the provider including cancellation coverage, versus about US$130 from the provider without cancellation coverage.

Obviously, with that sort of difference there might be something else in the small print that is substantially detrimental..
  • Garykm
    Garykm Posts: 1 Newbie
    We have annual travel insurance with Staysure and are currently on a 12 week visit to NZ visiting family.
    Whilst here we booked for all of us to have a holiday in Cook Islands. However just before we go we find out one member is now pregnant and advised not to travel due to Ziko virus.
    Rang Staysure to query cover - to be told our policy does not cover us anyway because journey does not start in UK.
    Cover is only for flights to & from UK with less than 12 hour stopover.
    Surprise to us as we thought we had an annual multitrip worldwide policy !
    Thought people should be made aware as we were ignorant to this fact.
  • Can anyone recommend travel insurance which includes coverage car hire excess insurance? It would seem like a common ask, however I haven't managed to find one policy that includes this, standard or optional.

Thanks!
  • This year my husband and I are taking our daughter on a family holiday to Spain. In addition, we are each having a weekend away with friends. My initial thought was that we could get an annual family insurance policy to cover all three holidays as the total number of days travel would be within the usual annual limit.

However, does anyone know if an individual can travel under a family policy? (And if yes, which providers!). It's not clear in most KFDs and policy wording documents I've looked at and I'm not keen on ringing round a load of providers if it's actually going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack that might not even exist.

I suspect for ease and peace of mind three separate policies is probably the way to go but just thought I'd ask in case anyone has any words of wisdom.
  • ksc0pe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend travel insurance which includes coverage car hire excess insurance? It would seem like a common ask, however I haven't managed to find one policy that includes this, standard or optional.

Thanks!

Can't recommend as I've not used them but just spotted this while searching for travel insurance...

leisureguard.insureforcars

So, because I'm a new user I can't include links in my posts :huh: so just add https:// to the start and .com to the text above...
  • DaveAngel wrote: »
    This year my husband and I are taking our daughter on a family holiday to Spain. In addition, we are each having a weekend away with friends. My initial thought was that we could get an annual family insurance policy to cover all three holidays as the total number of days travel would be within the usual annual limit.

However, does anyone know if an individual can travel under a family policy? (And if yes, which providers!). It's not clear in most KFDs and policy wording documents I've looked at and I'm not keen on ringing round a load of providers if it's actually going to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack that might not even exist.

I suspect for ease and peace of mind three separate policies is probably the way to go but just thought I'd ask in case anyone has any words of wisdom.

Did you try googling this issue? If so, you would have found that certainly some companies do eg https://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/can-my-family-travel-independently-on-an-annual-policy/

So I would select the company you want to use and then phone them up to double check they are the same.

My daughter once went abroad covered by our family annual policy although, in that case, because her trip was more than 30 days I paid a small supplement for the 10 extra days of the trip.
  • ksc0pe wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend travel insurance which includes coverage car hire excess insurance? It would seem like a common ask, however I haven't managed to find one policy that includes this, standard or optional.

Thanks!
    Never seen such a combined policy - I suspect the companies want to keep their headline prices down (to be competitive) and so, if available, car rental cover would be an extra add-on if not a totally separate policy.

However, such insurance is not expensive - I've found these people pretty good for it http://www.worldwideinsure.com. I now see they also offer general travel policies so you might be able to get a good deal if you buy the 2 together perhaps?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback