Car Insurance Renewal during BR year

Hi all

Long time no speak.. hope all' well.

So my Car Insurance is due for renewal in a few months, I am halfway through my BR year. My usual payments would mean the policy is around £500 a year which I know is the threshold for declaring. I usually pay in monthly instalments and wouldn't be able to pay the whole premium in advance. I could put it on a 0% credit card (my husbands) but for obvious reasons I'd rather not do that.

Anyone recently renewed during BR year have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance x

Comments

• luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Car insurance has gone up quite a bit in recent weeks so it may be more than you are expecting.
    Did you inform them of your B.R? there was a clause in mine to say any claim would not be allowed during B.R (Aviva) I rang them straight after and they said as I pay for the year it would be fine.
    Read the terms very carefully for mention of this.
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    My renewal was due at the beginning of this month, has absolutely screwed me over to be honest. I was only paid a couple of days before, and have had 21p in my account ever since so I'm struggling badly.

If you have the option, I would use husbands credit card, and then set up a standing order to him for the monthly amount. If anything, it should work out cheaper for you than paying monthly as I don't think your husband will be charging you interest :P
  • Hi thanks for your replies. No I didn't ring them, as when I searched the total of my premium was less than £500 last year so didn't think had to.

I'll look into the T&C's, thank you.
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You know you might not be able to get it on credit right ? Not due to bankruptcy £500 thing, but the effect bankruptcy will have had on your score

If you can going forward, try to save £50 or so a month, so you have next year's premium ready. Also good to do similar for MOT costs etc
  • I auto renewed my insurance 3 months after going bankcrupt no problems, the amount was already in my SOA and the total amount of credit was under £500, and I just carried on paying the instalments. As it was an auto renew I don't think they do a credit check. But if you was to start a new policy with a new insurer you may be declined the instalment option due to bankcruptcy, aside for the the credit check and £500 limit there shouldn't be any reason you can't get car insurance unless they specifically say no
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I certainly wouldn't want to base my plans on passing the credit check, if you do great. During my IVA never had a problem, but then I was paying premium in full
  • peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    As it was an auto renew I don't think they do a credit check.

I think that may be down to the discretion of the insurer. Checked my credit history and it turns out my insurer has credit checked me when my policy was renewed a couple of weeks ago, even though it was a straight forward renewal and paying in full, so no credit check needed in my opinion. They didn't however mention to me they would be doing a credit check, nor have they mentioned anything in regards to my credit file/bankruptcy. Strange as to why they checked though...
  • Yours may have just been a quotation identify check, not a hard check.

I see these weekly only my report from my current insurer and also if I use compare the market I end up with loads of identity checks, none impact your score.
  • Thanks - Yes I did wonder whether I would be able to get insurance regardless of the cost because of being BR. I guess I either see what my current insurer sends through for auto-renew and go from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure