Grey paint mistake

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Also by Dulux is Chic Shadow. No hint of any other colour.
  • lidlest
    lidlest Posts: 249 Forumite
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Also by Dulux is Chic Shadow. No hint of any other colour.

Chic shadow can come up very dark though ( it did in our room) but I mixed it with white (same brand) to lighten it - I liked that it was 'grey'

(When mixing with white look up the ratios on google on how to lighten paint and you would have to make a large batch)
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    lidlest wrote: »
    Chic shadow can come up very dark though ( it did in our room) but I mixed it with white (same brand) to lighten it - I liked that it was 'grey'

(When mixing with white look up the ratios on google on how to lighten paint and you would have to make a large batch)

Agree that lightening a colour you like is an option. I did this at our last house because I just couldn't get the shade of pale blue I wanted. Found a mid-blue that was perfect, but too dark, and mixed with white.

I just used a half-empty 5l tin of white emulsion, and added 2.5l of the blue, so about 50:50 ratio. Stirred for ages with a long piece of dowel (was all I had! There are probably better tools for paint mixing). Went on fine.

The main thing with mixing paint is that you have to make sure you make up enough to do the whole job, as you'll never be able to mix in EXACTLY the same ratio again. I kept some leftovers in a tupperware box for doing touch-ups over the years. :)
  • we used B&Q light rain GREY, but the whole wall cracked. We had crown paint underneath and the walls were plastered about 5 years ago. B&Q have been of no help and we are left with a wall 22foot long which is all cracked. So do not buy B&Q paint its rubbish, we do not know where to go from here
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've got some woodwork painted with Johnsons Gloss .... 'Whisper Grey'
    I can say that;s nice you'll like it. But you have to pick your own
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    I'm afraid I have another vote against been and queued's shop tinted paints.

My wife was offered a free 2.5ltr tin, (don't ask).

Now I'm very careful with any tinted base coats. they aren't always mixed fully so I carefully spent 5 minutes stirring the stuff. It was grey by the way.
    The tin it was in was brand new and had no dried paint around the rim.
    I have to say it covered well, and for me, Mr magnolia, it looked right.

But what I got was lumps of dried paint in the mix, you now the bits that drop from the lid into the paint as you open an old used can. But this can didn't have and dried paint on the rim.

There were also chunks of what I assume was the base colour within the paint. I have to call them chunks, because you had to squeeze them between your fingers to flatten them, they were like rubber and no amount of mixing would have removed them.

The job took twice as long as it should have done and took all the paint, most of the rubbish being in the bottom so you can imagine.

Yes we were refunded.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    If you're near a Farrow and Ball shop you can buy painted sheets rather than tester pots I believe - which you can move about and are cheaper.

We have F&B in some of our rooms but it does mark easily and unless you get the modern emulsion (not available in all colours) it isn't good for wiping clean.

Slightly cheaper but with the chalky matt finish still is Crown Period paint - we've used it as it's a close match for a F&B colour we have and are pleased with it.

btw, I like blue in a kitchen.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    pinkpiglit wrote: »
    We've used bog standard Egyptian Cotton by Dulux for our lounge. It's a very pale shade of grey and looks great in our north west facing room.

I've used this in 2 houses, and to me it is not grey at all. More a kind of off-white grey/brown tone, not really cream but not as blue/purple as a grey.

I'm off to do the test suggested by Si Clist now, as I seem to see a lot more tones in paint than DH, although he has just suggested he has been winding me up about paint for years!
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    jm2926 wrote: »
    I've used this in 2 houses, and to me it is not grey at all. More a kind of off-white grey/brown tone, not really cream but not as blue/purple as a grey.

I'm off to do the test suggested by Si Clist now, as I seem to see a lot more tones in paint than DH, although he has just suggested he has been winding me up about paint for years!

Tried the test (http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge) scored 30.

Also the last time I used Egyptian cotton we used another mauve kinda colour on other walls and once we were finished with the way the light hit the walls they all looked the same colour :rotfl:
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Si_Clist wrote: »

2 The OP's eyes might well be like many people's and be a bit wonky when ti comes to colour discrimination (which is not the same as colour vision). There's a simple check here
    (a perfect score would be zero, btw.)

I scored 32. Not sure whether that's good or not!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport