Cheap desktop

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 2:42PM
    Some options that come with Windows 10 and are both cheap to buy and have low electricity running costs because they use bits that are designed for low power tablets and laptops:

£72.99 2GB/32GB Support Windows 10 MINI PC Intel Atom QuadCore 2xWIFI 4K Bluetooth TV Box. 2GB RAM with small 32GB disk drive, add SD card and/or USB 3 external hard drive for more storage space.

£89.90 KODLIX Z83-II Mini PC x5-Z8350 Intel Atom 2GB/32GB 1000M/LAN 2.4/5.8G WiFi BT 4.0 Faster CPU, same storage options.

£159.90 MINIX NEO Z83-4, Intel Cherry Trail Fanless Mini PC Windows 10 (64-bit) [4GB/32GB/Dual-Band Wi-Fi/Gigabit Ethernet/Dual Output/4K]. A bit faster than the last two, mainly because of twice as much RAM, same storage options. Most of the price jump is because of the RAM, which is enough to raise the cost of the Windows license.

£399.99 Silent-PC Fanless Quiet Mini HTPC IPTV Desktop Computer, Intel Core i7 5500u . 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD disk and the same i7 CPU found in some top of the line convertible laptop/tablets mean that this will be far faster than what you have now but still with very low electricity use. Can choose model with more disk space built in or add an external USB 3 hard drive. Windows 10 Home installed but not licensed, need a license code! Cheapest are the emailed OEM ones for a few Pounds.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:12AM
    All 3 of those will run like an absolute dog.
    Avoid an Atom processor in a PC at all costs ..

Read more here : https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-needs-to-kill-the-atom-before-cheap-pcs-sour-users-on-all-pcs/

Poisoning the well

Atom is a bug zapper that targets the uninformed. Users who don’t keep up on PC hardware are understandably attracted by the low price, then shocked by the terrible experience. In theory, a modern computer can last five years or more without much need for an upgrade. But an Atom-powered notebook is inadequate from the moment the box is opened.
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    toshi wrote: »
    TrishaM, I am sorry for your situation as you are another victim of software planned obsolescence.

I have assumed that your hardware is not problem at all, simply your operation system, (Windows) triggered a kill switch (software support termination).
    One way to overcome the situation is that to install Free and Open source Linux Operation system. Linux is an alternative to Windows OS, and it is completely free of charge. It is easy to use, unlike Windows; whole installation will complete less than 30 min, including all application installation.

Unlike Windows update, Linuxmint update won’t interrupt your work. Yes, you are able to keep using your computer during software update. (It is true, believe me, I am a Windows professional Engineer lol)

You can use familiar application such as:

Libreoffice (Microsoft Office alternative)
    Firefox (Internet Browser)
    VLC Player (Music, and Video Playback)
    GIMP (Photoshop alternative)
    PDF reader etc
    You don't need antivirus software (but you can install it, if you want)

All above application will be installed with LinuxMint together in 30 min. separately you can install other application such as Chrome (Internet Browser) if you prefer.

Through volunteer work, I have helped a dozen of VISTA/XP computers to convert user friendly Linux Mint system. As Linux Mint has been developed by community, they are very user friendly and similar to Windows XP/VISTA/7 look. (Please note Windows 8/10 has very diffirent user interface from XP/VISTA/7) No worry, I have setup LinuxMint for 80 years old couple. They are happy to use it.

I would recommend Linux Mint 18.1 MATE edition; As you have already reinstalled Vista by yourself, I would assume you are able to install LinuxMint easily by yourself. LinuxMint is very secure, very suitable for internet browsing, internet banking without worrying virus infection.

LinuxMint 18 will be supported until 4. 2021.

https://linuxmint.com/

You can get some idea on LinuxMint MATE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn2PFx6Z3dQ

MSE is the money saving site! So I would like to repeat LinuxMint and all application is at free of charge. You are able to utilise your existing resources without buying new hardware to enjoy safe computing & internet for another 3-4 years. (If you want to spend some money, you can upgrade sluggish hard disk to superfast SSD! Your computer will be blazingly faster than a brand new computer)

If interested, please let me know the exact model name of your computers. I am more than assist you.

Happy computing :)

All good advice but then you said GIMP, nobody should be subjected to that, even hardcore designers hate it.

Out of interest, I thought Mint was UBuntu with a load more on top and a better brand name, I thought it included Office apps?

Would OP not be better with a lite version of Linux as they are bound to have low ram and old hard disk, so then they will be told to go SSD and so have to spend money anyway, in which case they may as well get a copy of Win7 by getting COA from ebay for £3 and downloading Win7 media?

Just saying?
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2017 at 11:04AM
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Im not having that for a minute ..
    You may be helpful, and have installed a few systems but theres no way you do this for a job from reading that post ..

Actually I do, since I have setup OEM unattended automatic setup for Windows 98/XP etc. I have been tired with keep installing Windows.. lol, never ending windows update. Although old Windows computer rescue works is the most for the volunteer work.

I have helped an abandoned charity organisation ( From Windows xp + Exchange server to LinuxMint+ SSD + Google business apps migration.) It was fun but I don't want do this again as it was so pain to deal with slow computers.

I just want you to play with LinuxMint, it is so refreshing as a Windows user

Happy computing :)
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Windows 10 has a very different interface to 7, wanna bet? My windows 7 looked exactly like windows 98 and my windows 10 looks exactly like windows 7 with windows 98 settings.

I still have my quicklaunch and uncluttered taskbar and start button etc etc..

Do you mean you added the quicklaunch yourself (I did myself) I am interested to know if there is a way to make Windows Explorer behave like it did in Win7, It truly is awful in Win10
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 10:57AM
    AndyPix wrote: »
    All 3 of those will run like an absolute dog.
    Avoid an Atom processor in a PC at all costs .. Read more here : https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-needs-to-kill-the-atom-before-cheap-pcs-sour-users-on-all-pcs/
    That's from 2015, not now, and remember that we're providing options for a person with Windows XP and Vista generation hardware. Even the cheapest will probably be faster, particularly given that none of them use a slow spinning hard disk. If they go for one of the cheapest options and it's not fast enough for them it's easy enough to use your internet shopping return right to go to a faster model.

Meanwhile I'm gradually working through adding i3, i5 and i7 options to cover the range of CPU and boot/OS drive choices, though I'm planning to stick to low electricity consumption CPUs so the power cost in a year or two isn't more than the cost of the computer.

Hopefully TrishaM will tell us more about their current computers and what connections the monitors have so we can do some better comparing and check that the monitor connections will work, since it's possible that what she has now for monitors doesn't have HDMI, Displayport or DVI connections and a cheap adaptor might also be needed.
  • psychic_teabag
    psychic_teabag Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Out of interest, I thought Mint was UBuntu with a load more on top and a better brand name, I thought it included Office apps?

Then again, Ubuntu is "just" debian with a load more on top and a better brand name. (And commercial backing.) I think mint is targetted as a lower-footprint distrubution, though since the default desktop is built on gnome, I'm not entirely convinced. (I just use X with a window manager, rather than a "desktop environment".)

The office apps are probably available for all distributions. And of course you could just build them yourself from source if they're not ;-) And of course you can try them out on windows to see if they're compatible enough, before deciding whether to switch to linux.

FWIW, I installed Mint onto MIL's old (atom) laptop a few weeks ago, since she was a bit freaked about the looming end-of-support for Vista. All went smoothly and she seems to be pretty happy with it. Open office is different from the MS office she was used to, but I think she's coping okay. It's mostly just for a bit of web-surfing and web-based email. (Not quite sure what she uses office for, actually.)

The battery was knackered as well - we tried to make it clear that she should only buy a battery if she was happy with linux, otherwise we'd just buy her a new laptop. She has gone with the new battery, so we're taking that as a sign of approval.

You can try out many distributions, including mint, by booting from CD without affecting your windows installations. But beware, it is *really* slow that way - doesn't give a fair impression of the performance. Works better booting from memory stick if you can.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TrishaM wrote: »
    Hi, I have to change my desktop, one has xp and wont allow browsers to connect to internet..the other has vista on it and its a total pain, takes ages to update, infact sometimes wont. I did a complete re install and its a pain in the !!!. any recommendations for a cheap desktop, dont need keyboards mouse or monitors..

Do you want new or used?
    What budget?
  • AndyPix
    jamesd wrote: »
    That's from 2015, not now, .

Anything with an atom processor runs like treacle, it did in 2015 and it would today.
    Those horrible little netbooks were a total waste of money, have you ever used one (TRIED to use one lol) ?
  • AndyPix
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    All good advice but then you said GIMP, nobody should be subjected to that, even hardcore designers hate it.

True Dat !! I find paint.net a bit more friendly, not sure if that is available for Linux though :/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure