Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Comments

• Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mr_K wrote: »
    Think it would be good to have another category on the front page of this invaluable thread for accounts that don't have a 'bonus' applied.

NSI & Egg both have 2.5% accounts with no bonus. IMHO these beat the table topping 2.7% AA account as you don't have the potential loss of interest and hassle of changing accounts each year.
    KingL wrote: »
    Variable rate accounts without bonuses almost always just drop the rate after a year as well, so the effect is really the same whether there is a formal 'bonus' or not. And they can slash the rate whenever they want (e.g. 2 months after you opened it)

Unless you are going fixed-rate for 2,3 years, there is little you can do to avoid having to change accounts each year. :(

Thanks for the suggestion Mr K. I see where you are coming from, but I agree with what KingL has written. A lot of providers entice savers in with headline grabbing rates (which sometimes have no bonuses applied) and then they drop the rate after around 12-18 months and you end up having to switch anyway. In the variable rate section I always add information relating to any bonus rate applied to an ISA. You will find this information under each ISA in the field 'Important:'

What I could do is add a couple of the non bonus rate ISAs to the variable rates section.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    On enquiring, she was told that she couldn't add funds because it was a fixed rate ISA (even though she was told she could and had done so in July!)
    Fixed rate accounts are available for extra deposits until the offer is closed. No fixed rate account are open forever.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The first post of this thread has been updated.

Barnsley Building Society have launched a one year online fixed rate ISA, paying 3.00% on balances of £100 and above. The rate is fixed until 31/12/2011. It now tops the list of the one year fixed rate ISAs on the first page.

Wesleyan Bank now offer a range of new fixed rate ISAs. The one, three, four and five year offerings have been added to the list. They pay 2.75%, 3.50%, 3.75% and 4.00% respectively.

United Trust Bank's new three year fixed ISA paying 4.00% has also been added. They accept transfers in only. Three year fixed rate ISAs from Chelsea Building Society and Principality Building Society have been added to the list. They each pay rates of 3.40% respectively.

Added to the variable rates section is the National Savings and Investments (NS&I) Direct ISA, paying 2.50%. The rate does not include a bonus. Aldermore have withdrawn their one year fixed rate ISA paying 3.00% and have replaced it with a 2.80% offering.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Am I right in assuming she can now open a new ISA with another provider to use up the rest of this year's allowance, even though the A&L ISA runs until next year? No doubt she would be penalized if she transferred out of A&L before the end of the fixed term.

Any advice would be welcome.
    No, she would be subscribing to two cash ISAs in the same tax year, and that's not allowed. When applying for the second, whe would have to declare "I have not and will not subscribe to another cash ISA within this tax year" or words to that effect.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    I'm looking for a home for a fixed rate ISA that matures shortly. M&S are re-launching their fixed ISAs on Monday 18th Oct.

1 year = 3%
    2 years = 3.2%
    3 years = 3.5%

Not the very best rates, but you can have access to your money (with a penalty) and they will accept transfers in.

The person I spoke to on the phone was v. helpful and I've registered my interest. Info will be sent out at the end of the week (presumably planned to arrive next Monday).
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 November 2010 at 7:04PM
    https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/news-search.aspx?newsarticleid=200398

https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/news-search.aspx?newsarticleid=200085

..From Dunfermline and Derbyshire (Nationwide Brands)

The twist seems to be the ability to part fund now (say £100 subscription) and be able to top up to the annual limit right up until April next year - if that still remains the best option for 2010/2011. Here's the wording from the Dunfermline page:
    Additional deposits only whilst account remains open, subject to maximum subscription under the ISA regulations. However, if this is your only Cash ISA for the current tax year 2010/2011, and you have not used your full ISA allowance, we will allow you to top up to the full subscription limit, even when the product becomes a closed issue, providing you have invested the minimum amount.
    Quite a good offer really
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Not sure if the new Skipton BS rates have been posted, but they are offering a 1 year fixed until 29th November 2011 at 2.95% for any amount between £50 and £49,999 , 3.10% for any amounts over that.

They accept transfers , and also offer other rates for 2, 3, 4 and 5 years.

http://www.skipton.co.uk
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2010 at 10:23PM
    Milarky wrote: »
    4.15% to 31.01.15 (4yr) with 'twist'

..From Dunfermline and Derbyshire (Nationwide Brands)
    Quite a good offer really

I must admit I don't quite understand Nationwide's ISA interest rate policy :huh:. Their own products offer less interest, the 5 year fixed rate ISA only gives 4%.

I have tried thinking of a logical explanation, but can't seem to find one.

All that comes to mind is Harry Truman's quote "If you can't convince them, confuse them."
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's quite obvious, really.

Nationwide offers generally less good value products than its other trading names, precisely because it benefits from excessive popularity with investors because of its perceived strength. Also it can attract new to Nationwide group customers via its more obscure brands, without encouraging existing "traditional" Nationwide customers to switch to the higher rates.
  • Can anyone help me with the Derbyshire and Dunfermline 4.15% ers please ?
    Is it possible to simply transfer an existing ISA into them or do I need to open one for this year with them before I can transfer an existing one in ? (not an option for me has I am already fully subscribed for this year). I've read their T + Cs but I can't find an answer.
    My mobile has gone on a walkabout so I can't ring them currently and I figured that I'd get a quicker response on here than e-mailing them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback