Sons Debts and Debt Recovery

Hello All,
We are just at the start of what we fear is a long road. Our son is 19 and has left home in May 17. (For "left home" you could read "walked out / kicked out / asked to leave").
He has at least one big debt that we know about - £1241.37 now with Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited for an unpaid EE mobile phone account. The account has already been suspended so he cannot take or make calls. (The iphone 7 itself is damaged / sold / lost)
We suspect there will be more outstanding debt in due course, probably maxed credit cards and unauthorised overdraft.
Moorcroft have written to our son at our address.
As far as I am aware, he is now claiming Job seekers Allowance and living in a Hostel, and we have had no contact for the last month.
Just as this all happened there was local elections and the polling registration docs came through the door - so I removed his name from this address - hoping that removes him from the electoral role at our house.

I do not intend to pay this debt off for him - but I also don't want Debt Collection Agents and ultimately Bailliffs turning up at my door.

As an added bonus, I just ended my BT subscription, so I don't have a landline anyone can bother me on.

So whats the best advise for dealing with this from now on ?

thanks ,

BlueSierra.

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Someone more knowledgeable can advise further but if any letters come to your house for him I would write on the envelope 'no longer at this address' and then put in the post box
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

As above really, you tell the DCA more or less what you've told us.

He moved out on (add date) and you are unaware of his new address.

Ask them to update their records to reflect this, and to confirm it in writing for you.
    If it got as far as court, the papers get sent to the last known address, so you should either tell them the hostel address, or say he`s of no fixed abode.

Anyone comes calling, tell them the same thing, no one has power of entry for this matter, so usual rules apply, keeps doors locked and dont let them in.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • You should definitely seek more expert advice than the forum, however the debts are not in your name so you have a strong case even if someone does pursue further actions. Make sure you return any post so as suggested above and personally I wouldnt pay a penny to anyone.
  • Please keep us updated as this is a difficult situation for all concerned but you might be passing on valuable advice to others in a similar situation now or in the future.
    Good luck
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You should definitely seek more expert advice than the forum..

We do have "expert" advisers on this forum that deal with situations such as this on a daily basis.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jenny_EE
    Jenny_EE Posts: 44 Organisation Representative
    BlueSierra wrote: »
    Hello All,
    We are just at the start of what we fear is a long road. Our son is 19 and has left home in May 17. (For "left home" you could read "walked out / kicked out / asked to leave").
    He has at least one big debt that we know about - £1241.37 now with Moorcroft Debt Recovery Limited for an unpaid EE mobile phone account. The account has already been suspended so he cannot take or make calls. (The iphone 7 itself is damaged / sold / lost)
    We suspect there will be more outstanding debt in due course, probably maxed credit cards and unauthorised overdraft.
    Moorcroft have written to our son at our address.
    As far as I am aware, he is now claiming Job seekers Allowance and living in a Hostel, and we have had no contact for the last month.
    Just as this all happened there was local elections and the polling registration docs came through the door - so I removed his name from this address - hoping that removes him from the electoral role at our house.

I do not intend to pay this debt off for him - but I also don't want Debt Collection Agents and ultimately Bailliffs turning up at my door.

As an added bonus, I just ended my BT subscription, so I don't have a landline anyone can bother me on.

So whats the best advise for dealing with this from now on ?

thanks ,

BlueSierra.

Morning,

If you go to our Get in Touch page here http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch we have a live chat team that will be happy to note that he is no longer living at your address and advise you further from there. They are open 8am - 9pm Monday to Friday and 8am – 8pm Saturday and Sunday. If you’d prefer to call all our contact details can be found on the same link.

Thanks, Jenny
    Official Company Representative
    I'm an official company representative of EE. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure