Windows 7 not detecting wireless card

13»

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    But at least getting a driver that works in the first place will get OP going. If there's a WHQL updated driver then Windows Updates will probably find it ... or doing an Update Driver on the WLAN adapter in Device Manager will check Windows Updates site. :)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    were wrote: »
    Drivers have always been a pita to find!

I can't say I've had many problems finding drivers. Just go to the manufacturer's website and 98% of they'll be there.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 7:46PM
    DoaM wrote: »
    But at least getting a driver that works in the first place will get OP going. If there's a WHQL updated driver then Windows Updates will probably find it ... or doing an Update Driver on the WLAN adapter in Device Manager will check Windows Updates site. :)
    That is so obvious, everyone thinks so. So did I at the time, but...

Unfortunately it does not seem to happen like that, the attitude seems to be 'if it seems to sort of works, then dont fix it'. My win 10 was up to date, yet Audacity was complaining about audio drivers, which I thought was weird.

OK I did google first, and this name seemed to be a reoccurringly popping up, Sam Drivers was another. Some people think this is scam pup software, but I'm lazy, and always managed to get rid of pups, so installed the free version of http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster-pro.php - to be safe, do not do it if you do not know what you are doing.

Anyway I scanned and found 17 whq driver updates, not the pro s/w so updated one at a time. Drivers did stop installing, so gracefully rebooted, ran it a second time, third time until no updates were needed, so uninstalled driver booster

I have had no problems since with my laptop.

have a go if you feel competent enough to potentially handle the possibility of pups and come back and inform me. Perhaps my security was too tight and I did not get infected? Ye of little faith can visit each chip/card/and manufactures website and look for drivers individually.

thank me if you find more than 5 drivers out of date, if yoy get pups or need more than 10, please leave a comment to warn others.

Before updating I know you all made a backup first :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Drivers that always battled with on older windows\linux versions were Alfa drivers - in my eyes the best windows and linux wifi usb wifi ever - they always worked so well, it made me biased :)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    were wrote: »
    That is so obvious, everyone thinks so. So did I at the time, but...

Unfortunately it does not seem to happen like that, the attitude seems to be 'if it seems to sort of works, then dont fix it'.

Where did I suggest that?
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    I am not at odds with you DoaM, and yes you did not say that

Many people, including me, are under the impression that windows is now all seeing and controlling, and it even checks the av status, will update all to the latest, with no end user control, and you're never sure what it is doing, No one would accept a washing machine if the wash cycle is expected to wash everything, only did the red items:), and windows often does not install the latest drivers

Admittedly I have not yet googled Driver Booster. For those manufacturers who do not give a 200meg exe containing every driver in their range, there must be a better way than the common way done here. 26 posts for a simple driver issue and is still not fixed is a travesty in my eyes, and no one here is to blame, but surly there must be a simpler and more easier way, foolproof way?
  • burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Thank you. My wireless card is now working :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts