Currys Laptop return refusal after notification of cancellation under CCRs

Options

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Looking at Currys website, this service would appear to be reserve and collect. You reserve the item then pay for it in store. If that is the case with the OP then his purchase is not distance selling, he had plenty of opportunity to view the item before paying.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How many times! The OP has clearly said that they ordered AND paid for the laptop online. They simply chose the store as a delivery option, as is allowed. This is not reserve and collect and CCRs will apply.
  • Bond76
    Bond76 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2015 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Looking at Currys website, this service would appear to be reserve and collect. You reserve the item then pay for it in store. If that is the case with the OP then his purchase is not distance selling, he had plenty of opportunity to view the item before paying.

Sorry, this is inaccurate, and as others have already pointed out (and I made my original post as clear as possible about this) - I paid ONLINE - therefore sale at a distance.

In theory, yes, I could have inspected it (visually) in-store after collecting it, but what would be the point of that? Its a laptop and has intricacies by its very nature.

Also as just posted a minute or two ago (which fair enough you probably haven't seen yet) - this model was not on display, so could not have tested a "demo" model.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Apologies, too much wine with dinner.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    How many times! The OP has clearly said that they ordered AND paid for the laptop online. They simply chose the store as a delivery option, as is allowed. This is not reserve and collect and CCRs will apply.
    Ah ...that answers my question then - cause OP bought & paid for it online, they are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    isplumm wrote: »
    Ah ...that answers my question then - cause OP bought & paid for it online, they are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations.

Mark

The DSR's have been replaced by the CCR's.

That means the company can deduct costs for the diminished value of the laptop.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    It will be a distance contract as the OP stated that they ordered and paid for the laptop online so the contract was concluded at a distance.
    Whoops! Missed that bit.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    That means the company can deduct costs for the diminished value of the laptop.

But as already pointed out, only if the value has been diminished through excessive testing or handling and only a judge would be able to make a definitive ruling on this.
    If the value has been lowered simply because of the laptop being turned on and operated to determine the "nature, characteristics and functioning" then they can't legally refuse a full refund.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It wasn't a Mac was it?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But as already pointed out, only if the value has been diminished through excessive testing or handling and only a judge would be able to make a definitive ruling on this.
    If the value has been lowered simply because of the laptop being turned on and operated to determine the "nature, characteristics and functioning" then they can't legally refuse a full refund.
    Regulation 34 does go on to explain 'handling' in greater detail in paragraph 12:
    (12) For the purposes of paragraph (9) handling is beyond what is necessary to establish the nature, characteristics and functioning of the goods if, in particular, it goes beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop.
    The question is does turning the thing on go 'beyond the sort of handling that might reasonably be allowed in a shop'?

In my opinion, it does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport