PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sole plate of iron (cleaning)

Options

Comments

• hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I usually clean my iron while it`s still hottish with one of those cheap green scourers,cut in half of course.(two for the price of one)

Just with a bit of water and a good scrub,come up just like new.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • PURRING
    PURRING Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that,hopefully not burn myself.
  • pennymakespounds
    Options
    astonish... or any of the similar £1 tubs of "household paste" .....

comes off with one wipe.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    While the iron is warm (but not hot!) rub it with the side of a bar of soap - let it go cold, then gently rub the soap off with a soft cloth.
    Using a scourer can scratch the sole plate, so you need to be cautious which scourer you use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • PURRING
    PURRING Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    thanks I'll try that
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have a Tefal Pro Express Steam Generator Iron, and when I was ironing earlier, I noticed that the plate was burnt. A patch about 2-3"

Never noticed it before, so dont know how long its been like that.

What would you advise in order to clean it please. And should the plate be cold, warm, or hot in order to clean it?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    I found the only thing that worked was Rowenta Iron Soleplate cleaner from Robert Dyas. You might be able to find other makes elsewhere.
  • Crazychik
    Options
    I found the only thing that worked was Rowenta Iron Soleplate cleaner from Robert Dyas. You might be able to find other makes elsewhere.

Thanks. where are the Best places to buy it from and roughly how much is it?
    Sorry but never had this happen before!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have tried this and it worked for me. Newspaper spread on ironing board sprinkled with salt. Drag iron through salt to edge of ironing board and keep doing so until burny stuff is gone. If you have a super duper iron, you may not want to try this though.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• Crazychik
    Options
    Do I try the salt thing when the iron is hot or cold?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure