PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Burtha have you told the council he has moved out, they can only apply single person discount from the date you tell them.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 August 2017 at 8:58PM
    Options
    I've never done hosting since. Till the last night - he wasn't travelling with the others and his parents hadn't sent any flight details for him. It took dh till 1 in the morning to sort it out and we had such a tearful small boy all of a sudden. It turned out his parents sent him away for different schemes for the whole summer:eek: maybe a bit of chicken and egg

I find that really sad, the boy is being pushed from pillar to post to suit his parents...he was probably one mixed up young kid who felt unloved and unwanted and his 'attitude' was probably an attempt to cover up his real feelings.

I may be wrong, but I felt really sorry for the boy after reading your post. :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Go burtha! If you paint on a fake smile often enough it soon becomes a real one. As others have said, don't waste time looking at his Twitface burblings, you have a life with your kids to be getting on with.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Vicky welcome to the madhouse
    Burtha glad to see you being a bit more positive even though it's fake sometimes. Will give him something to think about that you haven't crumbled as he prob expected you too.
    Hester agree with your statement wholeheartedly lol
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can I join the chat please, somewhere nice to be when I find I am talking to the walls, as you do when on your own, well I do and make no bones about it, I do have a good conversation with myself and sort out many problems this way. :hello:I see many friends on this thread

I will read back later, a grandaughter has asked for sewing lessons at last, 9 years old. Will be off to Wales in 90 minutes

I bet sleep is a struggle for many, it was for me until lately. Sleeping on my own and CO2 levels were getting highish in my bedroom, I have a monitor (weather station nerd warning) in my bedroom. Tried various fixes and one works 100%, small window open on landing, door open and door to en suite part open, en suite has a mechanical vent. CO2 level reduced by half and 8 hours sleep happened. Being a scientist I changed one thing slightly last night, ie landing door almost shut and CO2 level rose again, not as high and still had 8 hours but trick is ventilation. I cannot leave bedroom window open at night as it is a tall tilt and turn and opens too much and sheep behind are noisy anyway.

Lovely day coming up, nice weather and lovely to help dgd get started on what I hope is a good hobby for her, maybe in adult life if not now. This how I feel after 8 hours :j
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I can't bear closed doors or closed windows, everything here stays open unless it's a hurricane. Family saying is that there's more fresh air in this house than there is outside :D
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Same with fresh air here, bedroom window stays open all year round and all others left on the catch or wide open when I'm in.

I live in an old sandstone house that could probably become damp in the winter as once the stone gets cold it stays cold!

I've really enjoyed the athletics from London, sorry to see it finishing.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OH loves fresh air, and can often be found in shorts in February, and has been know to remove entire windows for painting in March and leave them out for days. But when it comes to summer, it's windows firmly shut, in case of burglars- because that's when they operate! I frequently have to get up & open our bedroom window in the middle of the night because I'm stifling, despite all our authentic Victorian drafts, and I keep a hand-fan beside the bed. Interested that CO2 levels can affect sleep; that explains a LOT.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning fencers, welcome Vicky, :hello: another Pratchett fan here, too. :D. Burtha, glad you're feeling a bit better after a chat with your rellies, wine , and a run - good combination!! ;)

Yesterday, we did a massive clear up as we had the adult children and their 2 children round for a few drinks and nibbles - 11 of us all told and the table was emptied!! The only fly in the ointment was eldest DD, who kept shouting at her son (nearly 3) in a quite unpleasant way. Think it's a displacement activity as all's not well between her and her partner (who didn't come) over money etc., but it's not good that she's taking it out on the little lad. :( Partner has taken to sleeping at work 6 nights out of 7, and sleeps in the child's bed when he is home. Lots of money stuff going on, longstanding issues, but bailiffs and other debt collectors are looming now, and DD is quietly looking for somewhere to move herself and child into. She isn't without blame, as she's not the easiest person to live with (as I know from painful experience!), but the time may have come to call it a day, unfortunately.

Hey, ho, the sun is shining, so we might toddle off somewhere later, DH is off on a quick motorbike ride with a mate at the moment.

Our new, double glazed windows are far too efficient when you've lived with draughty 30s windows for 20+ years, so they're open 24/7, especially in the bedrooms. On the plus side, I shouldn't need the CH on much this winter! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Reminds me of the old joke about the guest who was saying goodbye on the doorstep of the house of some friends who were keen on fresh air

" don't stand out here, you're letting all that lovely cold air out"
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback