PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp duty higher rate question..

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks everyone for your input on this. I think it's ridiculous the fact I have never owned a home to live in this country, i have invested in property as buy 2 let (and already paid stamp duty) and now I come back to live and have to pay a ridiculous amount of stamp duty on my first home!

It isn't your first property, though, is it?

You already own a property. You COULD live in that...
  • elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    Interesting. I'm in a similar situation to the OP (but living in Scotland). I'll have to look into that before I go shooting my mouth off with offers on houses.

Not terribly interested in living in a Student flat with my children either ;)
  • scottishblondie
    scottishblondie Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    elonii wrote: »
    Interesting. I'm in a similar situation to the OP (but living in Scotland). I'll have to look into that before I go shooting my mouth off with offers on houses.

The rules for LBTT are the same as stamp duty south of the border. If you are not replacing your main residence (a property that you own and live in currently, and will sell to buy a new property) and own other property, you will be liable for the 3% surcharge. The only way aroud it is to sell any other properties that you own before purchasing another.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks everyone for your input on this. I think it's ridiculous the fact I have never owned a home to live in this country, i have invested in property as buy 2 let (and already paid stamp duty) and now I come back to live and have to pay a ridiculous amount of stamp duty on my first home!

I am aware that my situation is probably quite unique and would like to dig a bit further as i am of the opinion that buying my first 'home' I shouldn't be penalised with higher rate of stamp duty!

You make it sound like investing in BTL property is doing the country a favour.

The aim of taxing you on your main residence is essentially a way of backdating the tax on your BTLs. You will collectively own four properties. I appreciate that it isn't palatable, but your situation is not unique.

You only avoid the tax by moving into one of your three houses or selling all of them. There is actually a choice.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    The rules for LBTT are the same as stamp duty south of the border. If you are not replacing your main residence (a property that you own and live in currently, and will sell to buy a new property) and own other property, you will be liable for the 3% surcharge. The only way aroud it is to sell any other properties that you own before purchasing another.

Yes, just had a quick look. We have been renting since our return. I can see from the examples on the Scottish Government website that we will be liable. I'm just glad I found out before moving further along with house purchasing. I can now factor it in to my purchase and make sure we can afford it all.

Thanks for your help.
  • Maybe these links might help, it certainly seems on the face of it to be in your favour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/the-stamp-duty-tax-loophole-that-could-save-buyers-thousands/
    "For existing property owners to be exempt, they must be buying a main residence rather than a second home or investment property and have previously owned another main residence that they sold at any time before the announcement of the stamp duty surcharge on November 26 2015.
    Anyone who fits these criteria has until November 26 2018 – three years after the announcement in last year’s Autumn Statement – to buy an additional home without paying the extra stamp duty.
    For example, a landlord who owns buy-to-let properties but currently lives in rented accommodation and sold their previous home before November 2015 can buy a new home without paying the surcharge."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/buy-to-let-stamp-duty-will-you-have-to-pay/

"Many own their own home, plus a buy-to-let or holiday home, and want to know whether they will face the higher charge if they sell their main home and upsize, or downsize, to a new property.
    The Treasury consultation confirms they will not pay the higher charge as they will be purchasing a home, rather than a secondary property.
    This effectively means that the change will not be applied retrospectively to people who already own more than one property."
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have recently repatriated back to Uk after 10 years overseas and are in the process of buying our first home

We have 3 buy to let properties between us both but have never lived in them or have ever had a main residence in UK.
    Maybe these links might help, it certainly seems on the face of it to be in your favour.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/the-stamp-duty-tax-loophole-that-could-save-buyers-thousands/
    "For existing property owners to be exempt, they must be buying a main residence rather than a second home or investment property and have previously owned another main residence that they sold at any time before the announcement of the stamp duty surcharge on November 26 2015.
    Anyone who fits these criteria has until November 26 2018 – three years after the announcement in last year’s Autumn Statement – to buy an additional home without paying the extra stamp duty.
    For example, a landlord who owns buy-to-let properties but currently lives in rented accommodation and sold their previous home before November 2015 can buy a new home without paying the surcharge."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/buy-to-let/buy-to-let-stamp-duty-will-you-have-to-pay/

"Many own their own home, plus a buy-to-let or holiday home, and want to know whether they will face the higher charge if they sell their main home and upsize, or downsize, to a new property.
    The Treasury consultation confirms they will not pay the higher charge as they will be purchasing a home, rather than a secondary property.
    This effectively means that the change will not be applied retrospectively to people who already own more than one property."

Those only apply if you are selling your own home and buying another home that you will live in.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    elonii wrote: »

You could always give the students notice?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Other ideas? Yes: No offence but, if you don't like the rules, laws or taxation regime of any particular country you are always at liberty to live elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure