Selling sim cards on Ebay

About a month ago I bought a new phone off 3,they would only sell it if I also bought a payg sim which had £10 on it.
As I am already a contracted 3 customer I put the sim up for sale on Ebay for £7.99
It sold straight away.I sent the sim.
The next day the buyer contacts me to say there was no credit on the sim.As I was at work I suggested he phoned 3.A short time later he gets back to me and he reckons 3 gave him the £10 top up as a gesture of goodwill.
Today,via Ebay he is asking for a refund off me as it doesn't match the description or photos.

I'm glad I don't sell very often :)

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I presume you have the phone number for the SIM? Unless they transferred their number to it?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I presume you have the phone number for the SIM? Unless they transferred their number to it?

I know what the number was that came on the sim yes . Why ?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    He is probably right.

I ordered a 3 sim for my spare phone.
    The the one with a £10 top up included.

It did not come with the top up included and I had to ring them to get it.

Since there is no record at 3 of him buying it then this time it was probably good faith even though you could have rang up and got it on for him as the sim buyer with a record.

You should have tested it, of course then an account is set up. TBH it's not just 3, this happens with lot's ofcompanies selling pre topped up simms.
  • Daz2009
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    He is probably right.

I ordered a 3 sim for my spare phone.
    The the one with a £10 top up included.

It did not come with the top up included and I had to ring them to get it.

Since there is no record at 3 of him buying it then this time it was probably good faith even though you could have rang up and got it on for him as the sim buyer with a record.

You should have tested it, of course then an account is set up. TBH it's not just 3, this happens with lot's ofcompanies selling pre topped up simms.

But if I'd tested it I couldn't have sold it as new and unopened ☺
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,190 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Carrot007 wrote: »

Any value for an opened and tested sim would be negligible .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mike230652
    mike230652 Posts: 525 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    But if I'd tested it I couldn't have sold it as new and unopened ☺

Now that IS a Catch 22 situation :o
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Daz2009
    The buyer is clearly trying it on.
    He wants to return it and have his money back after he's had his £10 worth.
    I've asked 3 to find out if he did actually phone them and if there was any credit on it when I bought it.Just waiting for them to get back to me....some issue with the data protection act as it's no longer mine
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 2:07PM
    mike230652 wrote: »
    Now that IS a Catch 22 situation :o

That was my point!

If you search on the internet you may get the impression that for "pre-loaded sims". They expect you to ring after setting up to get the "pre-loaded" ammount.

So not really suitable for resale.
  • Daz2009
    I didn't get anywhere with 3,they've failed to get back to me.
    What happens next ? The buyer hasn't asked Ebay to open a case although he's been able to for 4 days....and of course his paypal payment is frozen at the moment.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Did you really expect 3 to get back to you? Why would they, not least because you are asking them to answer questions about a third party without his consent for you to ask.

For £7.99, I'd refund and be done with the hassle (and if there is a next time for selling a SIM, spell out in the listing that they buyer will need to contact the provider to get the top up).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure