Quick Question

Options
Hi there,
Just had to rejoin from ages ago as I can't remember my password.
Can someone quickly remind me if mortgage companies generally use your gross or net salary when they are calculating how much you can borrow?
thanks very much

Comments

• stu2500
    stu2500 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,
    Just had to rejoin from ages ago as I can't remember my password.
    Can someone quickly remind me if mortgage companies generally use your gross or net salary when they are calculating how much you can borrow?
    thanks very much

Gross on affordability calculators then take all deductions/outgoings in to consideration (that's my recent experience).
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gross annual basic.

A percentage of gross annual overtime/bonus/commission (an average taken over an acceptable period) which varies from lender to lender.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • alexandria777
    Options
    thank you both very much... is it still about 3.5 times the salary and i wonder how long you have to have been in a certain job to use your income from it..? i know these are basic questions but this seems like a good place to quickly ask. thank you very much
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There are no income multiples. You need to use lender affordability calculators, entering your personal data to get the right results.

Time in employment varies from lender to lender. There are some requiring six months, others will accept you with a job offer and a start date.

It sounds like you should be talking to a broker sooner, rather than later.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure