Letters letters letters

Last year i had to be taken out of work and taken to A&E due to a hernia, i got the injury in work, so after months off work waiting on the op and time to recover i returned to work, after a few weeks back something around the op area didn't feel right so after further test and scans i have to get the op done again resulting in me not being able to lift heavy objects, this situation is annoying my employer as he is constantly reminding me about it and now he is looking for letters from my GP and the hospital to let him know what the first operation was and what they plan to do with the next operation, he is also looking the name of the surgeon and who plans to do the next operation, so am i obliged to give my employer these letters and information. no one else has ever been asked for letters or the like?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    You can cooperate. Or you can expect to get dismissed. It's up to you. You aren't able to do the job that they employed you to do. You have had a lot of time off sick and you will need more time off sick. So yes, they are perfectly entitled to ask your medical advisors for confirmation of their advice. And your are perfectly entitled to refuse to give it. But when you get dismissed you will have no argument - you refused to cooperate.

You did not get the injury in work. The crisis in the hernia may have occur in the workplace, but that is not the same thing as a workplace injury. Your job may have contributed - but there are many, many causes of hernia, including aging, congenital weakness, etc. There is no way on earth that you could evidence that your employer is to blame.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Your employers concerns are best addressed through an occupational health provider, perhaps suggest this as a way forward.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • sangie595
    ohreally wrote: »
    Your employers concerns are best addressed through an occupational health provider, perhaps suggest this as a way forward.
    But not everybody has one.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    But not everybody has one.

The service can be contracted in.

What the employer is looking for is not an NHS remit, plus if undertaken will almost certainly be at a cost, is the employer prepared for this?
  • bikeit
    bikeit Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I contacted my GP for some info he informed me there will be a cost a minimum of £50 to ? depends how long it takes to get the info my employer wants, the hospital also give me the same info regarding what it will cost, my employer is not prepared to cover the cost.
  • sangie595
    bikeit wrote: »
    I contacted my GP for some info he informed me there will be a cost a minimum of £50 to ? depends how long it takes to get the info my employer wants, the hospital also give me the same info regarding what it will cost, my employer is not prepared to cover the cost.
    Then that is their problem. They ate entitled to ask for the letters. They are not entitled to expect got to pay for them. They want them, that's fine - but they pay for them. Put that in writing tho them. You are happy to provide access to this information but there is a cost and they will need to pay for it.
  • sangie595
    ohreally wrote: »
    The service can be contracted in.

What the employer is looking for is not an NHS remit, plus if undertaken will almost certainly be at a cost, is the employer prepared for this?
    That is irrelevant. There is no legal requirement for an employer to contract in occupational health. Yes, if they want something for which there is a charge, that is their responsibility to pay. But they don't have to contract in OH.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That is irrelevant. There is no legal requirement for an employer to contract in occupational health. Yes, if they want something for which there is a charge, that is their responsibility to pay. But they don't have to contract in OH.

The point is now moot given the information in #6 and as I indicated in my post, the information sought is likely to come at a cost anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport