I just need a PVR...

Why is there little on the market to choose from? All I want is a box that will give me FREEVIEW channels and either YOUVIEW or FREEVIEW PLAY, preferably the latter and to be able to record TV. There are just so few to choose from it seems. HUMAX dominates the market but I have had such bad service and luck with them. Even so this week I went to purchase a PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder rom Curry's but despite their computers saying there was one in stock it could not be found. So I relented and bought a HUMAX 4000T Capuccino. Well that went back next day! It would not settle at all and kept rebooting! No idea why..no way to know...no one actually ever knows why these things do not work. From experience I know that HUMAX do not for sure. So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate! I look at reviews for PANASONIC and although okay..none stunning I now do not know what to do. Seems like I am being punished for not signing up to BT or VIRGIN or SKY for a tv package and box!!!

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The market seems to be diverging into products for streaming and products for recording, and as you've observed, the ISP's own products and choices are interfering with the operation of the open market for non-tied equipment.

I don't know what the answer is - ultimately if the market shifts then manufacturers will cease to make things that are no longer selling as well.

Also, as the market matures and more consumers take up these products, there is an issue of how to de-techify things so that non-technical consumers are confident about selecting, installing and using them. One short-cut to that is for the ISP they already trust to make a "recommendation" and possibly to provide technical support.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All my various Humax boxes over the years have been 100% .Likewise i am sure the many forum members and other forums that recommend this make .

PANASONIC Freeview Play Recorder
    TRY Richer Sounds / John Lewis /Amazon / Argos
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have a Panasonic freeview recorder which could also burn BDs if I wanted it to. No problems, straightforward user interface and it will record from the scart socket to the internal hard disk if I want it to.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So I think this is an ideal subject for MSE to investigate!

Investigate what? Market forces? If you can look beyond what your local Currys stocks, you'll find a bit more, but not much. A FreeviewHD or Youview box is a UK product, not an international one, like a TV, so there's just less money to be made versus the design process.

And if you sign up to BT, you'll get a Humax box. Not sure what 'brand' their 4K box is though.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    And if you sign up to BT, you'll get a Humax box. Not sure what 'brand' their 4K box is though.

:D Humax..
  • Inner_Zone
    If you don't want Humax the market is rather limited, these two on Argos are made by Vestel a long established OEM brand in STB's:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2489502

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5423448

And TalkTalk boxes by Huawei, which you can get on Ebay etc.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have a Panasonic freeview recorder which could also burn BDs if I wanted it to. No problems, straightforward user interface and it will record from the scart socket to the internal hard disk if I want it to.

That Panasonic freeview recorder and Bluray Player has been slaughtered on the internet for genarally being slow, buggy and unreliable. And its EPG the pits.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    If you don't want Humax the market is rather limited, these two on Argos are made by Vestel a long established OEM brand in STB's:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/2489502

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5423448

And TalkTalk boxes by Huawei, which you can get on Ebay etc.

I wouldn't recommend Huawei boxes, as they are roundly criticised even by there own users. In fact, if one is just after a PVR, I wouldn't recommend YouView at all, as they are all now Cloud based. Internet connection required.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    VisionMan wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Huawei boxes, as they are roundly criticised even by there own users. In fact, if one is just after a PVR, I wouldn't recommend YouView at all, as they are all now Cloud based. Internet connection required.

I bought one of them from ebay a couple of years ago for £30. I only use it for the months I do not need Sky but it has worked pretty well for me and paid for itself quite a few times over in saved Sky subscriptions.
  • Inner_Zone
    VisionMan wrote: »

As Terry98, I purchased one off Ebay several years ago, brand new, never been an trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure