Ransomware defense.

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Leon_W wrote: »
    All I can say after having to deal with one of these cryptolocker type viruses earlier this year is. BACKUP ! ....snipped

Hope this helps.
    Post #6 :D
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Leon_W
    Leon_W Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It's certainly worth repeating debitcardmayhem !

I really panicked at the time until I realised I'd backed up a few weeks previous. This was more by luck than judgement as I didn't have any sort of organised backup regime . I do now !
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 May 2017 at 10:51AM
    The best defence is to not click on links or attachments in emails you were not expecting.
    Its that simple
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,672 Forumite
    What never ceases to amaze me is the lack of understanding in the media and general public of what's caused it, what can be done, etc., I have so far only heard one expert talk about having a nightly backup routine for large systems, however I suspect that the techie who suggested it when the systems were being designed was told to get back in his/her box because it would be too expensive......
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • AndyPix
    Bit of a giigle here , watch malware infections live as they happen :D

https://intel.malwaretech.com/pewpew.html
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To help move from vulnerable windows systems to a much safer Linux based one
    Follow this guide https://www.lifewire.com/best-linux-setup-for-older-computers-2204882
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 May 2017 at 1:13PM
    waamo wrote: »
    Stop watching "adult" entertainment.
    Don't 'those' sites have better AV than the NHS?

In fact doesn't the average know nothing computer user have more AV knowledge than NHS IT staff?
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    In view of the NHS ransomware attacks today, which I believe have also affected many other organisations in the world, can members recommend the best defense when guarding one's own PC?
    I have Kaspersky Internet Security and use Malwarebytes (free version) randomly, but is this enough?
    Thank you.

It's not an attack, someone did something stupid and let this thing loose.

The NHS network is (as far as I'm aware) a closed network, with no direct internet access, SO somebody either bought this thing in on a USB drive OR they connected their PC to the internet and then clicked on a bad link.

We've got the whole country in a panic because someone had a common sense failure.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AndyPix
    Everybody - this was NOT an attack on the NHS ..
    It was a mass email campaign - unfortunately the NHS was ONE of the victims

BTW : They do have internet access
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Linux is not secure. Linux distros contain software packages that have their own wide gaping hole sized vulnerabilities and with vulnerabilities like this and the one disclosed by Google the other week, would be most unlikely to be fixed as quick as Microsoft did. Microsoft have a very good track record for fixing exploits and those who got hit by the one in the news did so because they didn't keep their software up to date as Microsoft released a fix through Windows Update 2 months ago.

Difference is few Linux desktops get exploited because it isn't as profitable due to the small market share. You'd be as secure as Linux running Windows 98.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure