The Evil of Windows 10.

Comments

• tommix
    tommix Posts: 41,256 Forumite
    I wish someone would take out a legal case against MS over this issue. My tablet was less than a year old and a present. It worked fine - perfectly - before W10, and I was happy with it.

It sits on my desk now like a dead thing. And it !!!!es me off no end.

I suppose you could place your morning Coffee on it..Seeing that it looks like a coaster.:beer:
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    i find the main problem with w10 is simply how slow it is - i have a 3 year old pc (4th gen i5 cpu) and it takes about 2 minutes just to boot compared with about 10 seconds to boot linux. Also loading chrome takes about 15 seconds vs about 3 seconds on linux
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    With my dad, he had a old laptop and it auto downloaded Windows 10 for him only to then reject installing it saying it wasnt compatable and nag him for drivers, he then got a (still old but much more powerful) laptop last Christmas and it worked perfect and fast for him for months, then Windows 10 installed itself after about a 10 hour wait and now his whole computer is sluggish.

Then theres the fact you are forced to do updates without checking them first (as sometimes new updates can be buggy until they themselves are patched)
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    boliston wrote: »
    i find the main problem with w10 is simply how slow it is - i have a 3 year old pc (4th gen i5 cpu) and it takes about 2 minutes just to boot compared with about 10 seconds to boot linux. Also loading chrome takes about 15 seconds vs about 3 seconds on linux

Mine is an oldish laptop that i have had for years (it came with xp) and it boots up all ready from off in under 10 secs. Running windows 10.
    Its a bit quicker at that than windows 7 was :)
    Chrome takes about 2 secs to open.

Not sure why we have such different experiences with it?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    indesisiv wrote: »
    Mine is an oldish laptop that i have had for years (it came with xp) and it boots up all ready from off in under 10 secs. Running windows 10.
    Its a bit quicker at that than windows 7 was :)
    Chrome takes about 2 secs to open.

Not sure why we have such different experiences with it?
    Most folk just install any old crap to their hard drives without realising how much it can slow their computer down.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • GMbabies
    GMbabies Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    Everything you type is submitted and stored in the data centre in the US. Is it necessary? I guess so, because everyone is now potential terrorists, aren't they?
  • I read somewhere that someone said that Windows 10 downloaded onto his machine without his knowledge - I thought that was absolute rubbish, thinking he had done it in error?

Mine did this too. I was horrified to go back onto my computer to the screen 'Thanks for downloading Windows 10'!! I didn't!

Thinking that it was a done deal, I looked carefully - it had the box (tick to accept) - I didn't. Computer then grumpily came up with message that if I didn't accept, then it would give me my old system back. Good! If I wish to download it, I would, but at the moment I do not. Sneaky thing! Now back to normal.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    doodle-bug wrote: »
    I read somewhere that someone said that Windows 10 downloaded onto his machine without his knowledge - I thought that was absolute rubbish, thinking he had done it in error?

Mine did this too. I was horrified to go back onto my computer to the screen 'Thanks for downloading Windows 10'!! I didn't!

Thinking that it was a done deal, I looked carefully - it had the box (tick to accept) - I didn't. Computer then grumpily came up with message that if I didn't accept, then it would give me my old system back. Good! If I wish to download it, I would, but at the moment I do not. Sneaky thing! Now back to normal.

Its done in a crafty way, through the windows update system both in optional and "important" updates as they don't tell you what they are for.

Another reason why in the future if they bring out something for the next OS they have you won't have a choice in upgrade.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It downloaded for me last August about an hour, laptop no slower works fine. The anniversary update took 20 minutes. If they Microsoft want to track my stuff I have nothing to hide so don't care. They might think I am a would be serial killer from my search history of old murder cases though. :D:D
  • Got the perennial messages to download W10 onto my Windows tablet, and eventually did it.

The tablet now makes an interesting coaster but nothing else. As soon as W10 was loaded onto it, it stopped working and hasn't worked since. By 'not working', I mean it wouldn't even turn on.

Maybe this could help?

Solution 2: Try waking your Surface with hotkeys

You might be able to wake your Surface using a special keyboard shortcut.

If you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key Windows logo +Ctrl+Shift+B.
    If you are in tablet mode, simultaneously press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons three times in quick succession (within two seconds).
    If Windows is responsive, you should hear a short beep while Windows tries to refresh the screen. If your Surface still won't turn on, try Solution 3.

Solution 3: Force a restart

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
    The screen may flash, but continue to hold down the power button for the full 30 seconds. After the full 30 seconds, release the power button.
    Step 2:
    Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Go to Solution 4.Solution 4: Two-button shutdown (Surface Pro models and Surface Book only)

Important
    Don’t use this process on Surface RT, Surface 2, or Surface 3.
    Use this two-button shutdown process to ensure that your Surface is turned off completely. Here’s how:

Step 1: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds and then release it.
    Step 2: Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both.
    The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.
    Step 3: After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    Step 4:
    Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

If your Surface turns on: Charge the battery for a while. When it has at least a 40 percent charge, install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.
    If your Surface still won’t turn on: Your Surface may need service. For more info, go to Send my Surface in for service.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family