NatWest foundation account - benefits of upgrading

Hi all, I've had a NatWest foundation account for the last two years as a means to rebuild my credit history following a marriage break up. I am now completely debt free (whoop whoop) and looking to get a mortgage in the next year or so.

Are there actually any benefits to upgrading my account from foundation to the free select account, other than an overdraft and cheque book (both of which I don't need nor want)? Will having a select account improve my credit file, or should I just stick with what I have?
Known Debt at time of the Great Escape - £5,467.85
Current Debt (not including standard bills) - £0
DFB Christmas club number: #158
Is 100% Great Escape Known Debt Free :beer:

Comments

• 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Congratulations on becoming debt free. It's a lovely feeling isn't it?

I don't know if NatWest report Foundation Bank Accounts to the three credit agencies.

Might be worth checking your credit reports (Noddle for Call Credit, Clearscore for Equifax and trialling Experian's Credit Service free for 30 days*).

NatWest do report to my credit files so it might help towards strengthening your credit history (make sure to pay little attention to the 'score' however as lenders use their own tools in assessing/granting credit).

* Make sure you cancel before the 30 day free trial has expired otherwise you'll be billed £14.99/month.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I doubt changing account type itself will result in a better 'score' outside Nat West.

You might be able to get a contactless card (if that's something you want) that would work offline or change to the Reward account (if that would work for you)

Obviously, you'd loose the no overdraft / no charges feature of the basic account.
  • Thanks both for the reply, debt free is a great feeling.

NatWest do report to the cras for the foundation account, so on reflection then there is no real benefit between the two.

I'll stick with what I've got ��
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I doubt changing account type itself will result in a better 'score' outside Nat West.

You might be able to get a contactless card (if that's something you want) that would work offline or change to the Reward account (if that would work for you)

Obviously, you'd loose the no overdraft / no charges feature of the basic account.

Not if you ask for the Overdraft Control feature.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wouldn't the OP (again) get an on-line debit card with that feature?
    chambta wrote: »
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chambta wrote: »

That only blocks arranged overdrafts. It doesn't stop unauthorised overdraft transaction fees:

https://assets.rbs.tagworldwi...DCLFLT%20NEW/90424572ver1.pdf

Payments Overdraft Control cannot prevent

Although Overdraft Control makes unarranged overdrafts less likely,
    it cannot prevent unarranged overdrafts altogether as there are some transactions,
    such as the following, we will continue to pay:
    • Payments using your Debit card where the retailer does not check with us that you
    have enough money in your account before accepting the payment.
    • Any NatWest fees or arranged overdraft interest due on your account.
    If you register for Overdraft Control, we will continue to charge Unarranged Overdraft
    Usage Fees (£6 per day), however we will increase your buffer from £10 to £25. This
    means that if we process a payment that creates or increases an unarranged overdraft
    on your account, an Unarranged Overdraft Usage Fee will only be charged if that
    unarranged overdraft exceeds £25 at close of business on that day. Unarranged
    Overdraft Usage Fees are capped at £90 (15 fees) per monthly charging period.
  • chambta
    chambta Posts: 2,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    That only blocks arranged overdrafts. It doesn't stop unauthorised overdraft transaction fees:

https://assets.rbs.tagworldwi...DCLFLT%20NEW/90424572ver1.pdf

Payments Overdraft Control cannot prevent

Although Overdraft Control makes unarranged overdrafts less likely,
    it cannot prevent unarranged overdrafts altogether as there are some transactions,
    such as the following, we will continue to pay:
    • Payments using your Debit card where the retailer does not check with us that you
    have enough money in your account before accepting the payment.
    • Any NatWest fees or arranged overdraft interest due on your account.
    If you register for Overdraft Control, we will continue to charge Unarranged Overdraft
    Usage Fees (£6 per day), however we will increase your buffer from £10 to £25. This
    means that if we process a payment that creates or increases an unarranged overdraft
    on your account, an Unarranged Overdraft Usage Fee will only be charged if that
    unarranged overdraft exceeds £25 at close of business on that day. Unarranged
    Overdraft Usage Fees are capped at £90 (15 fees) per monthly charging period.

It makes it virtually impossible, especially without an overdraft limit.
  • That's useful to know, and again thanks for the replies. My plan is not to have an overdraft or to be overdrawn as that's one of the many reasons I got into financial difficulties in the first place. I've gone back to basics and keeping everything simple and under control :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business