Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• @ Aldi - Boneless pork shoulder joint, £2-45 per kg. :j

A brilliant price for a potentially very versatile joint which can be good not only for roasting but for LOTS of things.
    My OH in particular likes this as pulled pork (SW recipe cooked in the slow cooker) and as goulash, again in the slow cooker. ;)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The fresh spinach n ricotta pizza from Aldee is gorg, n wrll worth £1.85 :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Quick question: why have some posters taken to the spelling "Aldee"? Am I missing something?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Quick question: why have some posters taken to the spelling "Aldee"? Am I missing something?

Same ones who say Sainsbobs or Morribobs etc. It's stupid and childish in my opinion.
  • candygirl
    Forumite

Not because i'm thick, it's so my posts don't show up when someone googles the shop :D

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,424
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 January 2016 at 9:48PM
    I'm just back from Aldi. They have a new range of Soupreme 'fresh soup' called Skinny Soups. As I follow a restricted diet, the only one I can eat is the Thai Carrot Soup. It seems to have an interesting list of ingredients:

Water, Carrot, Potato, Coconut Cream, Onion, Butternut Squash, Maize Starch, Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Coriander, Sugar, Ginger Puree, Red Chili, Lemongrass.

I don't care about the claim that it has "Less than 2% fat" as the recipe includes added sugar. But, the infobox on the side claims that it has 91kcal per half a pot or 182kcal per the full 600ml pot. That's quite low. It's also cheap. I think it was 75p or 85p for the pot.

I can't comment on whether it tastes authentic as I'm not an expert on Thai food. It has a fairly mild flavour, and it's only moderately 'creamy'. It has chili in it, but it was only near the end of me eating the full 600ml fairly quickly that I noticed any heat. The only reason I feel it's worth pointing out is that it's relatively low calorie and I found it reasonably filling. At 182kcal, it might be useful for someone on the 5:2 diet or something.

There are some other flavours in the 'Soupreme Skinny' range, but I can't try them as they all include milk or other products I don't eat.

I also bought some of the Aldi Vine Tomato and Lentil soup, to warm me up after swimming tomorrow. That's, IMHO, really nice and I'm looking forward to it :)
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    candygirl wrote: »
    Not because i'm thick, it's so my posts don't show up when someone googles the shop :D

Is that likely? Why not just say A if you're concerned?
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    L [;)] have the 2x Wild Salmon Fillets (frozen) back on special offer at £1.59.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    One of the Aldis near me is closed for four weeks. One of the reasons as well to level the floor as heard pallets toppled over

A customer that lives in the block of flats opposite has lost count in the number of cars turning round on seeing the sign of store being closed. Has seen the same cars too (very distinctive ones). Still another 2.5 weeks
  • candygirl
    Forumite
    Is that likely? Why not just say A if you're concerned?

Maybe because I don't want to :) Hope that's ok with you ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family