Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• typecast
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with Allianz Global Assistance?

I have just received my yearly AA "double the price of what they offer to new customers" renewal letter, no doubt they'd drop it if I threaten to leave which I would if they don't match it. However I have just realised I have cover through my bank account with Allianz, but never heard of them, includes roadside, homestart and UK recovery. Have used the AA a few times as my car is 12 years old but only light use at weekends.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I eventually returned to Green Flag
    At £60 with £40 cash back through Quidco
    Making it £20 !!
    A bargain
  • Jamiemac
    Options
    Hi all,

I have the following requirements and wondered if anyone knows of a good deal available at the moment.
    • UK breakdown cover
    • European cover for a short (< 1 week) trip to France in Dec 13) in the newer car.
    • One car is 8 years old, the other is 19 years old
    The Green Insurance policy looks good, but doesn't cover cars over 10 years old, so useless for the older car.

I'm wondering if I should just go with AutoAid, then arrange a seperate short trip cover for our French trip?

Or I could just get the European full cover from the AA for £101.50 after cashback.

Trying to keep the cost down though. ;)

TIA
  • snowathlete
    snowathlete Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2013 at 1:26PM
    Options
    den169 wrote: »
    If your happy letting them take it to a local garage and charge you what they want,Then thats fine for you,I want mine taking home unless i'm 250 miles away on holiday then i'd consider letting them take it locally,And no they don't all have that clause in there terms thats exactly why i said read the small print.As i said there cheap for a reason.

Thanks for bringing this up. This is exactly the problem I want to avoid. I want the choice to go home if they can't fix it at the roadside.
    So which providers offer that and which don't?
    Seems even the big boys have this same catch - RAC will try to fix at a local garage first. Is autoaid any different in this regard?
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up. This is exactly the problem I want to avoid. I want the choice to go home if they can't fix it at the roadside.
    So which providers offer that and which don't?
    Seems even the big boys have this same catch - RAC will try to fix at a local garage first. Is autoaid any different in this regard?

I went with GEM they state if it can't be repaired at the roadside they will take you to a destination of your choice,I did email them about it and they confirmed this for me.:j
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jamiemac wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have the following requirements and wondered if anyone knows of a good deal available at the moment.
    • UK breakdown cover
    • European cover for a short (< 1 week) trip to France in Dec 13) in the newer car.
    • One car is 8 years old, the other is 19 years old
    The Green Insurance policy looks good, but doesn't cover cars over 10 years old, so useless for the older car.

I'm wondering if I should just go with AutoAid, then arrange a seperate short trip cover for our French trip?

Or I could just get the European full cover from the AA for £101.50 after cashback.

Trying to keep the cost down though. ;)

TIA
    Last June I was setting off on a trip to Prague and then to Poland for a three week tour. I hunted around for the best deal possible to suit my needs
    I finally went with vehicle-rescue.com which is covered by AXA. Annual cover for our 12 year old Skoda Octavia. All Europe East and West and including UK breakdown came to around £56
    I couldn't find anywhere to beat that on price
    Our 3500 Mile trip went fine without any real problems so I have no experience of how they'd perform if we'd had a breakdown bur AXA Assistance sounds to be a reputable company

It should be ok for your 8 year old car but I think you'll struggle to find reasonably priced cover for anything over 15 years old.

"We are able to cover cars or motorcycles (private, leased or company owned) registered in the UK under 16 years old".
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • tomloaf
    tomloaf Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently got my renewal from RAC and as normal t is silly money as my wife has used it twice this year. There “new customers” policy is a lot cheaper online and I can get some good cash back from it. Is there anything legally stopping me cancelling my policy and just my wife starting a new policy in her name and adding me on
  • den169
    Options
    tomloaf wrote: »
    I have recently got my renewal from RAC and as normal t is silly money as my wife has used it twice this year. There “new customers” policy is a lot cheaper online and I can get some good cash back from it. Is there anything legally stopping me cancelling my policy and just my wife starting a new policy in her name and adding me on
    Don't see why not your wife is a new customer.
  • tomloaf
    tomloaf Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    that is what I thought but I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience of the RAC stopping this. I looked at swapping ot the AA and they are way more expensive. The RAC has offered me £165 for 14 months but i wont get the £60 cash back with that. They seem so un flexible to haggeling
  • den169
    Options
    tomloaf wrote: »
    that is what I thought but I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience of the RAC stopping this. I looked at swapping ot the AA and they are way more expensive. The RAC has offered me £165 for 14 months but i wont get the £60 cash back with that. They seem so un flexible to haggeling
    Look at GEM £96 for you and wife any car with £20 cashback,Similar cover to AA rac.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback