PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Subletting leasehold

We are in the process of purchasing a 2-bed, 2-bath flat and we obtained a copy of the lease between the vendor and the landlord.

We would like to have the flexibility to:
1. Let the whole flat through AST
2. Let the second bedroom only through AST
3. Short let on Airbnb the whole flat
4. Short let on Airbnb just the second bedroom only

I copied in parts of the lease below that address sublets etc.

Could someone with experience in leases give an indication as to whether we would face any difficulties should we want to exercise any of the options outlined above?

5.9.2 Assignment, subletting and charging of part

5.9.2.1 The Lessee must not assign, sublet, part possession of, or charge part only of the Flat.

5.9.2.2 The Lessee must not sublet the whole of the Property except by way of an assured shorthold tenancy or some other of tenancy in relation to which the subtenant is not entitled to security of tenure following service on him of notice in accordance with the requirements of any applicable statute and except where the subtenant agrees with the Landlord to perform and observe the obligations on the part of the Lessee contained in this Lease other than the obligations to pay Rent and Service Charge.

5.9.2.3 The Lessee must not assign the whole of the Premises without the consent of the Landlord, whose consent may not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

5.9.3 Registration of permitted dealings

Within 28 days of assignment, charge, sublease or any transmission or other devolution relating to the Flat, the Lessee must produce a certified copy of any relevant document for registration with the Landlord's solicitor, and must pay the Landlord's solicitor's reasonable charges of registration of at least £50.00 plus VAT.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2016 at 2:24PM
    destone wrote: »
    We are in the process of purchasing a 2-bed, 2-bath flat and we obtained a copy of the lease between the vendor and the landlord.

We would like to have the flexibility to:
    1. Let the whole flat through AST
    2. Let the second bedroom only through AST
    3. Short let on Airbnb the whole flat
    4. Short let on Airbnb just the second bedroom only

I copied in parts of the lease below that address sublets etc.

Could someone with experience in leases give an indication as to whether we would face any difficulties should we want to exercise any of the options outlined above?

5.9.2 Assignment, subletting and charging of part

5.9.2.1 The Lessee must not assign, sublet, part possession of, or charge part only of the Flat.

5.9.2.2 The Lessee must not sublet the whole of the Property except by way of an assured shorthold tenancy or some other of tenancy in relation to which the subtenant is not entitled to security of tenure following service on him of notice in accordance with the requirements of any applicable statute and except where the subtenant agrees with the Landlord to perform and observe the obligations on the part of the Lessee contained in this Lease other than the obligations to pay Rent and Service Charge.

5.9.2.3 The Lessee must not assign the whole of the Premises without the consent of the Landlord, whose consent may not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

5.9.3 Registration of permitted dealings

Within 28 days of assignment, charge, sublease or any transmission or other devolution relating to the Flat, the Lessee must produce a certified copy of any relevant document for registration with the Landlord's solicitor, and must pay the Landlord's solicitor's reasonable charges of registration of at least £50.00 plus VAT.
    1) Acceptable if you get permission and then send a certified copy of the AST, with £50+ plus VAT, to the freeholder's solicitor.
    2) unacceptable (part only)
    3) unacceptable (not AST)
    4) unacceptable (part only and not AST)

Note: option 2. If your intention is to have a lodger in th 2nd bedroom and occupy the 1st bedroom yourself, this would not be an AST. The lodger would be an 'Excluded Occupier' with few rights so could be easily evicted ("not entitled to security of tenure following service on him of notice"). This would be acceptable.

However if you intend to genuinely (attempt to) grant an AST for the bedroom only, perhaps letting the other bedroom on a separate AST to a different tenant, this would contravene the lease.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    1) Acceptable if you get permission and then send a certified copy of the AST, with £50+ plus VAT, to the freeholder's solicitor.

I don't see a requirement to get permission, you just need an undertaking by the subtenant to the (head) landlord to abide by the head lease, and to intimate it.
    Note: option 2. If your intention is to have a lodger in th 2nd bedroom and occupy the 1st bedroom yourself, this would not be an AST. The lodger would be an 'Excluded Occupier' with few rights so could be easily evicted ("not entitled to security of tenure following service on him of notice"). This would be acceptable.

Surely any lodger is a contravention of 5.9.2.1?
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    If a mortgage is involved it's your lender that needs to be checked first.
  • tg99
    tg99 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I don't see a requirement to get permission, you just need an undertaking by the subtenant to the (head) landlord to abide by the head lease, and to intimate it.

• davidmcn
    tg99 wrote: »

"Assign" = "Sell", not sublet.
  • tg99

Oops yes my error!
  • tg99
    From memory my lease had similar wording to the above but without need to explicitly agree with Landlord to obey the lease and without the last part (28 days etc). Hence my reading of my own lease was that I only needed permission and to pay a fee if I was subletting Part Only of the property rather than the whole of it.
  • G_M
    I made the same error as tg99.

Thanks for correcting.
  • G_M
    Surely any lodger is a contravention of 5.9.2.1?
    I don't believe so (though having been wrong re the permission.......)
    The Lessee must not assign, sublet, part possession of, or charge part only of the Flat.
    Since a lodger does not have 'exclusive occupation' of either the property, or of their bedroom (the LL retains rights of access), the clause would not apply.

Not sure what 'charge' means in this context but don't think that could alter my interpretation.
  • davidmcn
    G_M wrote: »
    Since a lodger does not have 'exclusive occupation' of either the property, or of their bedroom (the LL retains rights of access), the clause would not apply.

"Parting with possession" isn't the same as "granting exclusive occupation" though.
    Not sure what 'charge' means in this context

Granting a mortgage. Not likely for part of a flat, of course, but theoretically possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure