Huge Utility Debt!

Ok so I have a huge utility debt, I am dealing with the debt, but that's not the issue.

The gas usage is far more than my electricity, I only have a gas boiler and a cooker, nothing else!

Well the boiler is not a combi, it's a normal boil the water and store in the tank sort of thing. It's really new, but I didn't realise when I purchased this house! (Stupid I know)

Anyway I want to ask you guys what you think could cause these huge bills.

I checked my hot water timer and it appears I have had the hot water set between 16.30 - 23.00 daily, is this soley the reason for the huge bill, I don't know how much and long it takes to heat water and keep it hot?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing? :(

Comments

• orcocan
    orcocan Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hello
    what's your average bill?
  • Well my bill for half year has just come in at £845 for Gas and Electric.

They have now advised me to pay £70 per month for gas.
  • orcocan
    orcocan Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i don't have gas so i can't really help to be honest, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give you some advice
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi i used to have a back boiler it was old, and i used to have my hot water on for 1 hour a day. this would heat the water at around 5 in the morning, and I could have a deep bath in the morning adding cold water to the mix, and a shallower bath at night (still deep enough) without adding any cold as the tank was filled with warm water....

I could also do the dishes once or twice with this and more if i didn't have a second bath.

I think five hours is probably excessive. (cut it right down to say 45 minutes and see what happens you may over the weekend have to then turn the system on to have a bath but you need to try to find what works for you...)

I don't know if this will be causing the massive bills but it won't be helping.

good luck.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    how many people live in the house? is it just you, and do you all cook together?

do you have an electric shower?

is your washing machine cold fill?

sorry things that may contribute...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    poppasmurf_bewdley Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2012 at 10:43AM
    Is your hot water tank lagged?

Set the thermostat on the tank to a temperature that suits you.

Before I had a combi boiler, I had mine set for just an hour from 7-8am to provide hot water in the morning. It's cheaper to boil a kettle for washing up in the evening rather than heat up a whole tankful.

Also, there is a section on MSE devoted to gas and electric usage:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Hi Everyone - Thanks for the advice.

Well the boiler and tank is new, we have a new build so it's all quite eco friendly.

I didn't realise the hot water was on for so long until I checked today, it was also coming on at 4.30 in the morning and staying on until about 9am.

We are 2 adults and 4 year old + 1 month old. We only use the shower twice a day (once each in the morning). We have a dishwasher and the washing machine and dishwasher both use cold water. Our shower also uses the hot water from the tank.

Jush wish I had checked before I got a huge bill :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport