PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    All the landing is finally glossed apart from the attic hatch, but at the mo that is done in that hideous dark brown treacle varnish so I'm going to ask Dh to take it down so I can sand undercoat and gloss it in comfort.it will need three coats like the airing cupboard door did si I don't early want to do that while under it on a stool as I'll get a crick in my neck and covered in paint. The new carpet will bring joy when it fitted in a couple of weeks.
    Will need to get back to kondoing then.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Warm fuzzy feeling of the day achieved -Dh gift aid letter has just arrived CS has made £159.81 from our recent donations. Really pleased as it means the stuff that didn't bring me joy obviously did for other people.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Anyone read online Daily Mail about the filthy flat and the neighbour's intervention?
    I seriously wonder how long it will stay clean. Perhaps now that the situation has been made public Social Services will at least send someone in to wash the pensioner, if nothing else.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    greenbee wrote: »
    I'm currently running two dehumidifiers, both areas have had a dehumidifier running for a while now, and the volume of water (approx 1 tank full every 36 hours) doesn't seem to be reducing. Which is starting to bother me... Thermostat in the hall is showing humidity down from 57% last week to 51% now, but I have no idea how accurate that is! Or what it should be... Upstairs says 0%...

It seems like your humidity is almost spot on greenbee, according to this article from The Telegraph :T
    Save
    Save
    Save
    Save
    SaveSave
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    VJsmum wrote: »
    35 small bottle that DD gave me with salad dressing in. used the dressing and kept the bottle cos it's nice, but haven't used it in over a year
    36 glass tea light holder for 9 tea lights. Hardly ever used. Donation
    37 several years out of date tin of rice pudding

Away for a few days so TBC next week..

38 pair of 3d cinema glasses. 3 d makes Me feel sick...
    39 old watch of DDs I've been carrying around in my handbag when mine needed s new battery. The strap has broken on hers and its dearer to get a new strap than a new watch
    40. Pile of old receipts and money off tokens from my handbag.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,668
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Great news re the CS money raised, mrs-mp :)

ANother fleabay itemsold this morning and will be leaving the building later today :D Three children's sleeping bags washed, dried and priced for NNS (next weekend - yeay!!)

Under sink cupboard sorted again - couple of items used up/ combined (same item, but 2 open bottles of it!) and rest tidied away/ sorted nicely.

Main garden table has been sanded right back and is looking lovely - just off to oil it now. That just leaves another table and 10 chairs......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Charis
    Forumite
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Fen1, excellent idea about where to donate cash box, thanks!
    I couldn't agree more about music intruding into brain. I have walked out of shops playing loud music because I simply cannot concentrate over it so looking for items becomes impossible. 'I suppose it is a recognised medical condition !

According to this article in today's BBC News Magazine, it's to do with whether you are bored/stimulated, and towards the end of the video suggests that introverts, prefer no background music (especially when studying) and extroverts need the stimulus of something external. Too much external input can make introverts feel very uncomfortable.

I can testify to that last comment. I don't like too much choice and sometimes if confronted with too many choices to assess, I will just walk away. I also hate supermarkets with walls of Stuff that are taller than me, or a thousand choices of cheese or laundry products. Life is just too short to analyse the minutiae and I am convinced my brain just short circuits if overloaded :rotfl:
    Save
  • Slinky wrote: »
    Speky I really hope when you say binned, you shredded those items, there's huge potential for ID theft amongst that lot.

Indeed I did. The thing hadn;t been used in so long I nearly broke the damned thing.

Back at it tonight again. :j
  • Charis
    Forumite
    Indeed I did. The thing hadn;t been used in so long I nearly broke the damned thing.

Back at it tonight again. :j

Speky, GreyQueen says to spray a couple of sheets together with a squirt of WD40 across the width of the paper, then shred them. It seems to ease shredder indigestion. ;)
    Save
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Oh Slinky I love wallpapers 1 & 3. No. 2 sounds as though it will be great with your current colour scheme as well!

Charis, interesting theory about introvert / extrovert. I consider myself an introvert but friends say otherwise - obviously a split personality here! :D

Great results by Speky, Mrs MP, VJsMum and Greent! :T:T:T:T

No kondo-ing today just work then visit to recently widowed friend (she is having someone reputable come to appraise the car for selling tomorrow so I released the fuel cap to allow the pressure to equalise and ran the engine for 10 mins to make sure battery is charged because it has been standing for about 2 months). I also got a ball park figure for her from an online car buyer so she will know whether the appraiser is being straight with her. She may well be kondo-ing the car soon!

My plan for tomorrow is to hold every item from the backbedroom / multi purpose room and see what sparks joy. I am determined that some things will be released!! I am pretty sure I will then spend a while trying out different arrangements of furniture in there, to get it just right.

So, please send me some stamina vibes? :rotfl:
    It's been a hectic 10 days so I am delighted to still have the energy to carry on tomorrow :j

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family