MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you shop your teenager?

12345679»

Comments

• yes. and have.reported card missing to find my bank wiped out.. to find my daughter and her friends had spent it all. was she sorry no..that was my rent and in come. i was told had two choices give them permission to arrest and charge her and get money back or theyd do it anyway and i wouldnt get reimbursed she was 15.outcome lost the rented home became homeless ..she moved in with friends..no remorse at all. do it again..yes iwould.:mad:
  • barri_2
    barri_2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Pound wrote: »
    Is it really worth putting a stain on your child's record for the rest of their life over £750? I think all people do stupid things when they're young, all you can do is try your best to show them why it was wrong and hope they eventually learn.

Certainly a stupid action - but also wrong/illegal/nasty. I never stole anything when young (or old). I agree I'd wonder where I had gone wrong in rearing the boy. He obviously has no love for his parent, or is of very low intelligence, or both.
  • I would, Just shopped the lad for criminal damage to my car. Took a crowbar in anger to the rear tail end.
    All because I said NO!
    All come to he who waits!:wink:

£14997.00 still to go by December 2008
    Now £14325.00 17/04/08
  • I'd sell the decks cheaper to pay some of the bills off, and the teenager can work to pay the rest off, send the message, crime doesn't pay, and if you don't pay you bills, there will be nowhere to plug it in anyway when your homeless.
  • Im sure most people on this thread complain about the youth of today, and all the rest of it, at 14 unless very sheltered or very very stupid, this 14 year old knows what they are doing is wrong. Not going to the police is protecting them from their actions which they should be made to face up to, call it what you want, pandering, molly-codling, it does them no favours, remember as a teenager yourselves always trying to push the line. Children of all ages need to be told where that line is, it help's and guides them, they may not remember what you have taught when they are 14/15/16 but as they become older, have their own kids, it hits them like a tonne of bricks. They need parents not parents who think they are kids and try to be their best friend, as a parent you feel you do every thing right and they still go off the rails a bit, develop that tone of voice and deafness at the same time.
    All you can do is guide them they are the ones who are the masters of their own destiny.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    I think the police kind of understand situations like this.

As he is 14, he knows what he is doing. I would take him down the police station and let them throw him in a cell for a night to scare the daylights out of him.

I'd come back in the morning, get him out and he would be working until the debt was paid, plus a nominal rate of interest.

He wouldn't be going out and would be missing school trips away etc until it was all repaid.

If I had a child, I would love them and that means teaching them the full consequences of such serious crime and shocking them out of it, no matter how much it hurts to do it. Rather that than see them in prison at a later date.

If he was younger, then the solution would be less severe, but would seem no less so to him.
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    I wouldn't report him to the police but, I'd make him suffer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure