Grave stone

Options
I don't even know , why I'm posting.
My in laws died five years ago. There's still no grave stone for them. My husband has five siblings and nobody seems to bother. I said to him I'm happy to chip in, but everyone else has to pay as much.
It seems to be all forgotten. Nobody talks about it anymore .
Maybe I should just leave it? It's not my parents' grave. But it's sad.

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I personally don't think you need a headstone to remember a loved one, memories are worth a lot more than a piece of stone.
    If it was a child then I would certainly get one.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I understand what you're sayin, I'm just having impression everyone has forgotten the subject. Nobody said: " we won't have a gravestone" just "we will, we will" and nothing has been done.
    Maybe I think about too much. For me, gravestone is a token of memories.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think some grave stones look pretty obscene. I'd rather have something fairly simple. I would have thought that anyone that chose to bury a loved one would have naturally got something. Although there is no need for any sort of monument to remember them. My Mum was cremated so we only had her ashes to bury but it doesn't stop me going to see her and there are others basically standing talking to a piece of grass with no signs of who is there.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe you/your husband need to be more proactive about it - get a quote or quotes and ask the other siblings for money. If they cough up - go ahead. If they don't then decide if you want to go it alone.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amara wrote: »
    I understand what you're sayin, I'm just having impression everyone has forgotten the subject. Nobody said: " we won't have a gravestone" just "we will, we will" and nothing has been done.
    Maybe I think about too much. For me, gravestone is a token of memories.

They may not have forgotten but don't see a lump of stone as any sort of token of their memories and in 100 years time there may be nobody left to remember.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2014 at 11:11AM
    Options
    I think this happens a lot in some families. People say they'll get round to it one day, often because they expect to be more 'flush' with money than they are at that point, time goes on, they don't have the cash to prioritise a headstone and no-one is inclined to start making it happen. DH says his parents talked about a headstone for his grandad when they could afford it. Grandad died when husband was a month old, he'll be 50 next year and there's still no head stone.

I read a short story once about this happening, the character bought the headstone, couldn't afford to get it erected and kept it under the bed! Next generations thought it a good idea but didn't have the cash either to have it put up and eventually another generation thought it gruesome and slung it.

I was thinking of both the above stories when I saw the title of your thread wondering if it was about the same issue.

If you specifically want one, then find out prices and ask the rest of the family about contributing, but be prepared that they may not be as eager to go ahead or wish to contribute
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree that if your husband feels that this is important, then he may need to be a bit more proactive - speak to some local stonemasons, get a couple of quotes, and then contact his siblings and tell them he has looked into it, and these are the options / costs.

If they do not want, or cannot afford, to contribute, then he can decide whether he would like to do something himself - this could be a headstone (although I would not do that unless the other siblings were willing) or it could be some other sort of memorial - when my grandfather died, a rose bush was planted for him in a garden of remembrance and his name appeared in a memorial book. Then after my grandma died, (about 12 years later) we put up a headstone for both of them) You could consider something like sponsoring a bench, either somewhere your FIL loved, or in the churchyard or cemetery where he is buried.

Bear in mind that it is is possible that some of the siblings are not moving this along because a headstone is so very final - it can be hard to take that last step when you are grieving. OR they may simply feel that it is a convention but not something personally important to them.

I personally don't feel that a headstone is necessary to remember someone you love - I know that many people get comfort from visiting a grave but it is not the same for everyone. I Your in-laws may be happy with things as they are. What is your husband's view? I think you need to follow his lead.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replies.
    My OH would like to put a gravestone, but we know not every sibling will want to / afford to contribute.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    we havent got anything for my parents either (both cremated) we talked about it at the time, but didnt do anything, eventually I scattered their ashes - but even that took five years.

I dont think you can do anything if they dont want to or cannot contribute.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My view is that it is often the living that want a headstone. The dead are usually not bothered when they are alive.

People who are cremated do not usually have headstones so are clearly not bothered.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure