What temperature should boiler be set at for heating and water?

khampson
khampson Posts: 357 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi I have a 3 bedroom semi and have just has a new potterton yearned he combo boiler fitted, at what temp should my heating and water be set at so that I am not burning gas I don't really need?

Regards Keith

Comments

• I used to turn mine down to the lowest possible setting. It was comfortable to have a bath in without adding nearly any cold water. Didn't see the point in nuking water to 98C only to add half a bath of cold to it!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the temperature of the water circulating round the radiators is too low it will take ages for the house to heat up.

So it is a trade off on how fast you want the house to heat up, against how much money you want to spend.

No money spent, no heat. Money spent, gives heat.

Experiment.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't speak for all combi boilers, as I'm not that technical, but certainly on my system the radiators are on a separate loop to the water that comes through the taps. So the temperature that I set the water to has no bearing on the temperature of the radiators, which is controlled by a separate thermostat.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • malnik
    malnik Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Ideal boiler sets the temperature for the hot water and radiator water. Turn it up, the hot water gets hotter and the radiators get hotter.
    I have the same question, whats the optimum temp for fast heating and hot water without burning lots of gas?
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have the same question, whats the optimum temp for fast heating and hot water without burning lots of gas?

Experiment. Whatever works for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport