Argos Store Card will not let go....

Options
Hi,

I have an old Argos store card account that I closed a year ago (confirmed in writing), but somehow it manages to re-activate and is showing a zero balance. I have written to Argos card services 3 times now, and each time they have apologised and promised to update account status as settled, but then a few months later, its active again. Screenshot of Equifax report showing settled markers, strangely, an old settled marker has disappeared from last year:

Capture.JPG

There's no point in me contacting Argos Card Services again, as they will give me the runaround, i need to escalate this, but to where? :)

Comments

• GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    The underlying problem here is the lack of quality control applied by the CRAs - basically they don't do QA.

It's probably not a big deal, but if they - Argos - don't sort it out pronto you should report the matter to the ICO.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Walesrob,

I appreciate that your credit file is incorrect, but it would seem that it could be Argos who are reporting incorrect information to the credit agencies and if that is the case, the fault lies with the lender. Argos have failed to resolve your issue(s), so, I would suggest you take this up to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • walesrob
    walesrob Posts: 1,150 Forumite
    Options
    Belated thank you for both replies, by way of an update, Argos have now reported my account reopened again at all 3 CRA's, so I've gone ahead and escalated this complaint to FOS this week.
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    FOS will not investigate anything until you have exhausted the formal complaints procedure with Asda (presumably still Creation Finance?).

Have you done this yet (in writing)?
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    walesrob wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an old Argos store card account that I closed a year ago (confirmed in writing), but somehow it manages to re-activate and is showing a zero balance. I have written to Argos card services 3 times now, and each time they have apologised and promised to update account status as settled, but then a few months later, its active again. Screenshot of Equifax report showing settled markers, strangely, an old settled marker has disappeared from last year:

Capture.JPG

There's no point in me contacting Argos Card Services again, as they will give me the runaround, i need to escalate this, but to where? :)

Have a look at the credit limit on the Argos account: My guess is that the account is open but the credit limit is £0.

Leaving the account open but reducing the credit limit to £0 when I close an account is something that gets me going and sets me off on the road to written complaints. I'm not sure whether a reduction to nil of the credit limit is bad but it looks bad to me. It happened with Argos, ID Mobile (Carphone Warehouse) and is happening currently with Freemans Catalogue.

I complain first to the company giving them a rather generous 90 days to change the account to settled and from there to the CRA.

It's in the CRA's own interests to ensure that information deposited by lenders is accurate because when it's inaccurate and lenders get to know about it being inaccurate the CRA falls down!
  • walesrob
    edited 16 December 2016 at 2:46PM
    Options
    FOS will not investigate anything until you have exhausted the formal complaints procedure with Asda (presumably still Creation Finance?).

Have you done this yet (in writing)?

Yes confirmed in writing in mid October (sorry I should have mentioned it in my post yesterday), and its Argos Card Services, not Asda! No worries :)
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Have a look at the credit limit on the Argos account: My guess is that the account is open but the credit limit is £0.
    Its showing a limit of £1440, not a huge amount, but annoying all the same.
  • walesrob
    Options
    Another update...FOS have investigated, and told Argos to report correct status to all 3 CRA's with a matter of urgency. Argos have also apologised and as a result I have been offered £75 compensation, happy with that.

A satisfactory outcome as far as I'm concerned.
  • walesrob
    Options
    Wow, just wow.

Account reopened again. Latest credit reports from all 3 CRA's show account was active as of mid-March (or maybe I'm being impatient following my post of 26/01).

To say I'm at a complete loss what to do is putting it lightly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure