Ebay Global Shipping Programme fault.

Options
Hi guys,

I recently sent an item to a buyer in Spain through the ebay global shipping programme. Now according to the terms and conditions any damage caused to the item after it comes into eBay's possession is their responsibility and they'll cover the damage. I sent the parcel out and after arriving safely at eBay's national hub it was forwarded by them to Spain where the box arrived completely crushed (Despite being packed well).

The buyer initiated a return under 'Doesn't work or defective.' Following advice I found elsewhere I left a note on the return page stating that it's up to eBay to refund the buyer according to their T&C's. The due date for the return has now passed and the buyer won't contact eBay. Do I leave this (I've currently lost £150 from my PayPal) or ask eBay to step in? Supposedly it's very hard to get them to pay up.

Thanks

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benny1000 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I recently sent an item to a buyer in Spain through the ebay global shipping programme. Now according to the terms and conditions any damage caused to the item after it comes into eBay's possession is their responsibility and they'll cover the damage. I sent the parcel out and after arriving safely at eBay's national hub it was forwarded by them to Spain where the box arrived completely crushed (Despite being packed well).

The buyer initiated a return under 'Doesn't work or defective.' Following advice I found elsewhere I left a note on the return page stating that it's up to eBay to refund the buyer according to their T&C's. The due date for the return has now passed and the buyer won't contact eBay. Do I leave this (I've currently lost £150 from my PayPal) or ask eBay to step in? Supposedly it's very hard to get them to pay up.

Thanks

In situations like this it is best to contact ebay and insist they deal with it - have their t and cs up on screen when you call or live chat them and be ready to quote it at them.

Be quick though, if it times out against you and shows that you have not acted then you could lose the money and the goods. There is no obligation for the buyer to contact ebay, if they don't bother then you lose out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    I've only had one case where this has happened. The buyer claimed the item arrived damaged and initiated a return. I can't remember the options that came up but one was worded along the lines of refuse return and claim item damaged by GSP.

The case was then reviewed and ebay paid out and the buyer kept the item. Mine was an Australian buyer and the case could only be opened on the Australian ebay site. Ebay will pay out but they often need reminding of their policy on items damaged through GSP.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benny1000 wrote: »
    the box arrived completely crushed (Despite being packed well).
    Do as soolin suggests but the part of your post I've quoted is contradictory. Boxes at the bottom of large cages of post can have a lot of weight on them and if your parcel is crushed it was not packed well enough.

If it has tyre marks on it or a hole where a forklift has gone through it it is carelessness by the carrier but squashing caused by parcels stacked on top could lead to a claim being refused.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    but squashing caused by parcels stacked on top could lead to a claim being refused.
    Irrespective of how or why the damage was caused, once the item has been received by the GSP centre, the seller no longer has any liability, something that is stated a few times in the GSP terms and conditions.
    Risk of Loss. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with you until the GSP Item is accepted at the UK Shipping Centre or has been returned to you by Pitney Bowes from the UK Shipping Centre. The risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to your Buyer from Pitney Bowes and/or its service providers when the GSP Item leaves the UK Shipping Centre for export.
    You will not be responsible under the eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Buyer Protection Programmes for the loss of, or damage to, a GSP Item after its acceptance at the UK Shipping Centre. However, if eBay (or PayPal as applicable) finds in the Buyer’s favour in an eBay Money Back Guarantee case (or PayPal Buyer Protection claim) relating to a GSP Item, you will only be responsible for the amount that has been paid to you by your Buyer (GSP Item price and the amount (if any) charged by you to post the GSP Item to the UK Shipping Centre).

Once the shipment has been received by the GSP team, they are meant to inspect it to see if it meets the requirements for the program and if it doesn't, they can reject it or repack it as required.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And just to add, the reason the risk is transferred from seller to Pitney Bowes is because under the terms of the GSP they can open and repack however they see fit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure