Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• SCOTSMANJIM3232
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply.I already sent mail to KLM for claim status.Its been 10days now but there is no response from them yet.Could you please advice on this?

thanks in advance

Just to let you know i waited 8 weeks and also contacted them through facebook believe it or not to make this go quicker outcome was good though...hope this helps..
  • MissusTC
    Options
    Can anyone advise me on the reply I received from KLM. I think they are trying to fob me off but just need to know for sure. I have highlighted the part of their response that is confusing me. Is an unexpected technical issue or specific non-scheduled maintenance an exceptional circumstance or is the terminology being used to fob me off?

Reply - Thank you for your messages received on 19th September and 29th October 2013, regarding flight AF1373 from Bangkok to Paris on 9th October 2011. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience and for the unintentional delay in our response, please be assured there was no intention of discourtesy.
    I am sorry to learn that your flight from Bangkok to Paris on 9th October 2011 was cancelled and re-scheduled for 10th October 2011.
    The flight concerned was cancelled due to specific necessary non-scheduled maintenance checks that needed to be carried out. A technical issue like this, that is encountered unexpectedly, which presents itself beyond our scope of influence and is a threat to flight safety, can be regarded as an extraordinary circumstance and therefore is not one where there is an entitlement to compensation under EU regulations.
    I can assure you that all reasonable measures were taken in order to minimise the impact of this cancellation. However, unforeseen circumstances such as a technical problem may however severely affect our operations and result in unavoidable delays and cancellations. As you will appreciate, we will always put passenger safety above all other considerations.
    We have thoroughly reviewed your claim and have taken into account all the involved details of this specific flight cancellation. As a result, we must respectfully decline your request for legal compensation.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, they are trying to fob you off.
    Read the Huzar ruling (at point 27).
    It's not the tech issue that's the problem, but what the airline does once faced with the issue, thats the turning point.
  • inminniesroom
    Options
    After writing to Monarch (using your template) eventually after 2 months they have refused my claim. They are saying it was extraordinary circumstances. CAA appear to not deal unless the flight is from Manchester so what do I do now? Help Please
    Thanks
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a good read of the FAQs in the Monarch thread.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Sinhanada wrote: »
    You should be entitled to 600 Euros per passenger for this. Log onto the website and go to the contact us \ make a claim section

Hello,

Thanks for the help.I received reply from KLM airlines saying below :

The flight concerned was delayed due to technical issue and an issue like this, that is encountered unexpectedly, which presents itself beyond our scope of influence and is a threat to flight safety, can be regarded as an extraordinary circumstance and therefore is not one here there is an entitlement to compensation under EU regulations.
    We can assure you that all reasonable measures were taken in order to minimize the impact of this delay, including contacting passenger in advance when and where possible, providing all care and assistance due and arranging alternative flights.
    We have thoroughly reviewed your claim and have taken into account all involved details of this specific flight delay. As a result, we must respectfully decline your request for legal compensation, however, to mitigate any unfavourable impression we offer you a non-refundable Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD) for Rs 16875.00 (Rupees Sixteen thousand eight hundred and seventy five only), equivalent to 200 Euros, upon hearing from you.

I dont want to accept this voucher,also I am entitled for 600euros as compensation so what should I do?What should I reply them?It will be highly appreciated if you could tell me matter to b written to them as they might try to use high technical or such words which common people dont understand.
    As I already said due to this delay , i already bared many losses such as paying for hotel cancellation,my salary was cut down etc what should i write back to them.
    Please help me.
  • MissusTC
    Options
    Can anyone tell me where to find the Huzar ruling? I would like to challenge KLM on their response using a quote from this ruling.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Dips
    Dips Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    So I've cottoned onto this thread a bit late even though I've known about it for a long time.

I took a flight from Manchester to Dubai via Amsterdam all booked under one ticket with KLM. On the return leg the flight from Dubai was delayed by 3hrs 20mins so I missed the connecting flight from Amsterdam. I arrived back in Manchester over 8 hours late.

When I asked for compensation from KLM years ago they said the delay was down to "a late incoming aircraft which had returned to gate due to a fuel imbalance indication".

Any chance I'll be able to claim for this?
  • Dips
    Dips Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Also, on the claim form as it's done online do I still just paste the standard letter with my details or not?
  • Stardom
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Hi, newbie here seeking help. I had a flight (October 2013) from Paris to Bangkok with AF delayed by more than 5 hours. Filled out their online claims form, no response for about a month so subsequently sent an email chasing the issue up and SURPRISE, got a reply next day. But not the outcome I was hoping for as they have basically denied my claim citing:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ur records show that flight was delayed due to the presence of bugs on board the aircraft. As a result, a treatment of fumigation was necessary, which naturally resulted in unavoidable delay.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I would like advice, please, on whether this reason qualifies as “extraordinary circumstances”? If not how do I go about challenging this? Should I a) reply to them directly in the link provided in their decision email? If yes saying what? b) appeal directly to the relevant watchdog so to say. Or c) should I skip the BS and use a 3rd party company.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Many Thanks. If you prefer to pm your response that would be greatly appreciated aswell. [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure