Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / £16600!!!

NinjaSavingKat
NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 29 November 2013 at 5:01PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
So, dear fellow DFW's I want to join the ranks!:T..and apologise about how long this is!!

I have researched, read and re-read so many incredibly encouraging threads, got myself excited over challenging myself and thought it was now time to make this REAL and make it public!!

I WANT TO BUY MY OWN HOUSE!!!:j:j:j:j I cannot do this when a considerable amount of my earnings will go to debts... so this is the plan...

From the 1st October I have precisely 457 days until the end of 2013. I personally refuse to enter 2014 ( by all means possible ) with any debt. This means working harder and longer, reducing out-goings to meagre proportions and selling everything I can afford to.

So this is the break down - rounded up to the nearest £100 for absolute ease as I checked these amounts a month ago and have since paid towards them!! ....

£350 - [STRIKE]Overdraft. This is being paid back in another 3 payments of £80 and will be gone by 01st January![/STRIKE] REPAID!!! Reached £1000 since first posting but the ENTIRE amount was still paid on time!!!

[STRIKE]£350 - Ex-Boyfriend. For motorbike gear. 2 more payments of £175. Refuse to start the New Year owing him anything ( despite him being very lovely and very understanding and not demanding at all )..[/STRIKE] REPAID!!!

[STRIKE]£1000 - Credit Card.Will be maxed shortly due to motorbike insurance.. will be selling stuff to cover this but for now the credit card has to take the brunt. (£600 available at the moment ). Will be cleared by 31st December if it kills me and I live on beans![/STRIKE] REPAID!!!

[STRIKE]
£2500 - Student Loan. Money paid @ £150 per month minimum and will be complete by at least October 2013 due to the amount of overtime at work I intend to get my dirty mitts on...
[/STRIKE]REPAID!!!

[STRIKE]£3200 - Nationwide Loan. This was for the Motorbike ( needed for commuting to work ). I am paying £133 per month, never missed a payment but have set up a standing order that I can transfer however much more I can afford each month in order to reduce the amount. I want this gone by 30th June. This means an extra £317 a month. Once the first three are repaid the surplus funds will be channelled into this loan[/STRIKE]! REPAID!!!

[STRIKE]£9300. Northern Bank. This is for a piece of land bought back home!:T....£297 monthly. I pay half / my parents pay the other half. But the loan is in my name. I want to take responsibility for the whole thing. [/STRIKE]REPAID!!!

The Nationwide and Northern loans reduced in interest the more I pay off. Not sure if this is the same with all but it helps knowing that I can get rid of it all that much faster....

So there you go £16600. Works out at £37 a day. Which will make me think before I buy that bottle of water or choccie bar I really don't need ( although vintage clothing store are more of a temptation )..:o

So... no clothes shopping for 15 months, I will beg, borrow and swap if I want something new. I have asked for vouchers for Christmas..I buy food from Approved Food, reduced vegetables in Tescos, earn points in every store possible, and am selling all my books, and unwanted items... I am making hampers for close friends only and one hamper to send home to Ireland for 4 people ( max £40 ) for Christmas.. I get deals on line where I can, promotions, vouchers, coupons ...everything!!

Petrol hits £200.. I make £1700, my outgoings are around £1300 ( including food ) when I pay each loan its minimum repayment... this is manageable. But to get rid as fast as I want I need to be earning another £700 a month. This is where the overtime at work comes in.. I need to work three extra Sundays a month...

I have no family over here to move in with, no one to fall back on but me.. I am renting a room where all bills are included and share my life with a tabby called Dorothy. I don't drink, smoke or right now go out...:rotfl:..It will be worth it in the end I believe that for sure. This money saving / money making malarky is thrilling..

So there you go folks... Onwards and upwards...

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

Comments

• happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    you sound very positive! good luck! I am hoping we can shift just shy of £12000 by the start of 2014, may keep an eye on this thread, please do update!
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • HappyTails.. thank you.. I am very positive. It will be super tough as I won't be doing ANYTHING for the next 15 months but will keep update as much as possible..good luck on your quest!... I have just joined the No Spending Day challenge for October.. bound to be interesting with my little packed lunches at work..;-)
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I love how positive and energetic you sound :) best of luck with it, you definitely have the right attitude and you sound really determined.

I will be following your story with interest as I think you're going to do well :D

Mouse x
    :hello: LBM - January 2009
    CCCS [STRIKE]£36,813[/STRIKE] £26,531.70 :)
    Picture [STRIKE]£32,000[/STRIKE] £30,106.73 :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!

£10 a day challenge - October 2012: £158.31/£310
  • Good luck.

Don't deprive yourself though, a treat once in awhile will keep you sane. Keep an eye out for free tickets to cinema, or theatre, or free local events.

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • You sound really motivated and focussed. Good luck with it all.. it can be done.. I have a similar level of debt that I also want to pay off by the end of next year and am more than prepared to have a reduced life.. so I shall be following your thread with great interest...

Have a scout around the board and see if there is a challenge that you would be interested in joining.. I find the NSD challenges keep me on track and am looking forward to the 100 days to pay a debt.. It's also nice to have people to share your debt-busting experiences with..

Good luck :D
    One debt in 100 days £384/1264(£865 left)
    Pay all your debt off by xmas 2014 £276/18864
    NSD 4 and 4 in a row
  • BrokeMedic I will be keeping an eye on you too then...I have booked myself in for 15 NSD's already ( with 5 in a row )...I am hitting this hard. :p

Flutterby..you are right... yes a treat is required so for my delightful 30th Birthday next April I am going to treat myself to a holiday..however I did Paris once on less than £400 for 4 days including accomodations..so I think it can be done somewhere cheaper all round for a lot less. God Bless Groupon.

When I have goals I am ruthless...:D

( Just hit boots on the No'7 offer and scored some hamper fillers for my girlies for Xmas.. :T )..
  • BrokeMedic I will be keeping an eye on you too then...I have booked myself in for 15 NSD's already ( with 5 in a row )...I am hitting this hard. :p

The NSD challenge is seriously addictive lol.. I have gone for three in a row but am going to try five in a row for this week.. Have bought all my stuff for packed lunches and hot coffees so no excuse to spend at work..

Good luck:)
    One debt in 100 days £384/1264(£865 left)
    Pay all your debt off by xmas 2014 £276/18864
    NSD 4 and 4 in a row
  • brokemedic wrote: »
    ..... Have bought all my stuff for packed lunches and hot coffees so no excuse to spend at work..

I have just done the same. I make "Buddha Bowls".. tubs of different foods thrown in one pot. Very substantial and cheap cause I am a veggie... potatoes, Mediterranean cous cous, spicy veggie mince..three bean salad etc. Dull but its gonna be a staple for a while.. I like the different flavours and LOVE my food .. since its the most interesting part of my work day I need to make it fun...:rotfl:

Thank you for the good wishes...
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The Buddha Bowls idea sounds delicious. Just been off to google to find out what they are and I am drooling over my keyboard. Thanks for the idea and all the best for your debt free challenge :)
  • So sitting her on my own-some I have looked at my funds.. With my income I can re-pay everything by the end of 2013 as planned... but only have £98 per month left...:eek:

Might need to re-think ways of making some serious money cause if I cannot secure overtime I am a gonner.....:(

However I shall prevail...:):):):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure