NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

Comments

• I've had an iPhone 3Gs (ios 4.3.5) since January 2010 on a 2 year Orange contract. I plan to keep the phone after the contact expires in January but before then ask Orange to unlock it officially (for £15 I'm told) and then go to PAYG using GiffGaff/O2 which offers unlimited web access which is my main use of the phone. I will be grateful for any views on this less expensive option and if I can still use iTunes to sync the phone? Thanks
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Giffgaff is just another operator, not much different from Orange and almost the same as O2.
    iPhone settings
  • geewhiz
    geewhiz Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've just registered for the 64gb version with Tesco on the £25 12 months contract, plan to move to the £10 contract after a year if it's still available.

Never had an iphone before but I've had the same phone for years now so decided to go for it and it seems like a decent deal.
  • [QUOTE/] may be missing a trick here, and forgive me if I've read this wrong at all, but it seems like your discounting the price of a new 64Gb iPhone from Apple, without even buying it from these calculations? Using that logic, I could subtract the money I'm saving on not buying a Ferrari, meaning apple are effectively paying me for use of their iPhone, no?

I would have thought the calculation £51 p/month * 12 month contract + £299 upfront cost - £40 potential quidco cashback - £59 Vodafone cashback (not sure what this is either) / 12 months = £67.66 per month. Just because you haven't bought the phone direct from apple, doesn't mean you can assume savings on it? I may be wrong and if I am someone let me know, but I didnt want you or anyone else thinking this was a good deal when it could be slightly misguided![/QUOTE]

I don't think the logic is misguided. He's getting a 64gb iphone 4s, so it would only be right to subtract the cost, which he would otherwise be paying, to work out how much he's paying for the minutes/texts/data.

Roughly speaking, he'll be paying £600 over the year in monthly subs, plus £300 for the handset upfront, thats £900, which becomes £800 after the discounts.
    For that he'll be getting a £700 handset. Which leaves the cost of approx only £100 for all the minutes/texts/data he'll be using over the course of the year.

Sounds like a very good deal.
  • MoneyHelp wrote: »

I don't think the logic is misguided. He's getting a 64gb iphone 4s, so it would only be right to subtract the cost, which he would otherwise be paying, to work out how much he's paying for the minutes/texts/data.

Roughly speaking, he'll be paying £600 over the year in monthly subs, plus £300 for the handset upfront, thats £900, which becomes £800 after the discounts.
    For that he'll be getting a £700 handset. Which leaves the cost of approx only £100 for all the minutes/texts/data he'll be using over the course of the year.

Sounds like a very good deal.

You know what, I sort of see it!! Whilst the logic doesn't appear overtly misguided, I'm not sure it couldn't be misinterpreted. To me, the post assumes the user would be paying only £9.30 per month on this deal, which could mislead certain people, although I do now see what the OP is getting at. Using my example above, I'd be 'theoretically' paying £12.25 a month for my 'tariff' although I'm actually paying the equivalent of £71 per month. Not splitting hairs, it actually sounds like a good offer if thought out correctly, but people need to be aware they will actually be paying 51*12+299-40/12=£72.58 a month (vodafone no longer offer the additional £59 cash back)
  • i was on the phone to orange on the 7th to pre-order my iPhone 4s 16gb in white, the women on the phone said it would be be cheaper to do so in store and also said i would still receive the 25% NHS discount off my line rental. i'm wondering if any one has gotten this? since the staff in store said they didn't think i would be able to.

thanks ;-)
  • I'm currently out of contract with Tesco mobile on my iPhone 4, but I'm not sure I need to upgrade to the 4S:think:

The iPhone 4 has been awesome...still looks and function as it did the first time I turned it on.

Hmm... I was thinking of maybe handing it down to the GF and going for the upgrade now that Tesco have confirmed they're getting it, however they haven't released any information on the upgrade charges!!

I know the GF would really appreciate me giving her my i4, as she's always complaining about battery life and stuff with her Android phone (HTC Desire). But the MSE in me is saying Id be wasting my money!

Plus my i4 is jailbroken, and I'm hearing and seeing videos of Siri being worked on for iPhone 4:cool: if they manage to get it to work... then there's more reason for me to keep it.:D....
  • Wonder if anyone can help? I've heard that apple are not taking full payment for iphone4s orders until they are shipped. Has anyone experienced this first hand and did it only apply to a pre-registered order before the official release date? Chatted to apple online and they seemed unsure for some its ful payment at time of order but sometimes its a small charge followed by payment once shipped.

Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.
    Former MSE user - I don't post on MSE anymore, or respond to PMs. I would like to be able to officially set profile to "former user" which would be helpful as it seems you can never leave MSE - just choose not to use it!
  • smartbear1 wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can help? I've heard that apple are not taking full payment for iphone4s orders until they are shipped. Has anyone experienced this first hand and did it only apply to a pre-registered order before the official release date? Chatted to apple online and they seemed unsure for some its ful payment at time of order but sometimes its a small charge followed by payment once shipped.

Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

If you ordered online, this is normal practise for Apple with all their products, that way if they screw your order they don't have the hassle of refunding you if nothing has been sent.

Plus if you pre ordered online and have the confirmation e-mail, it may be worth checking to see if there's a status on your order, you can tack it with the account tab on the apple store.
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Thanks Chimp. It's good to know and I've checked with a friend the status order says 1 -2 weeks dispatch. On their bank account its saying the money is accounted for but does not appear on the statement. So for example, there available to spend balance (which includes their overdraft) has dropped by the price of the phone. They get paid next week but hadn't noticed the money hadn't been taken by apple. They didnt want to incurr an overdraft fee and I think as long as the money does not physically leave the account before pay day they wont be classed as overdrawn. Does that make sense?Well we hope thats the case!?!
    Former MSE user - I don't post on MSE anymore, or respond to PMs. I would like to be able to officially set profile to "former user" which would be helpful as it seems you can never leave MSE - just choose not to use it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback