PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lent - Moral support may be needed ;)

Options
NewShadow
NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 24 February 2017 at 5:09PM in Old style MoneySaving
Okay.

Not sure why - given I'm not religious - but I've decided to give up meat for lent this year. :eek::eek::eek:

March 1st - April 13th = 44 days.

Planning bacon pancakes breakfast noon and night on Tuesday ;)

I know vegetarians might be sniggering up their sleeves at my attempt - but this is a big thing for me - I often eat meat twice a day and very rarely have a no meat at all day.

Breakfast is generally eggs or porridge, Lunch is sometimes a vegi rice/couscous thing, but dinner is most often lump'o'meat, mashed or baked potato and steam pack of veg.

I'm wanting to change my meat = meal way of thinking longer term so drastic measures are required to kick this off.

I'm giving up meat - not becoming vegi - so not worried about things like rennet in cheese or gelatine.

I tend to get swamped at work and shop monthly rather than daily or weekly so frozen, dry or tinned for most ingredients.

I don't want to do what comes to mind and just eat 'pasta with cheese' - cheese is great but I can see myself getting through a block a week. And I like 'food' - so I'm not keen on the idea of 'meat alternatives' or ready meals.

Oh, and I can't eat nuts.

What I've got so far:

Tarka daal - butter, garlic, onions, ginger, turmeric, cumin seed, cup of lentils, chopped toms, spinach, 2 cups water

Pilaf - onion, garlic, 1/2 cup rice, cumin, paprika, tomatoes, kidney beans, stock cube, spinach, cup of water

Savoury rice - onion, garlic, stock, turmeric, tomatoes, rice, frozen veg, fried egg on top

Mushroom Risotto - butter, mushrooms, garlic, onion, rice, stock, apple juice, quark

Veggie lentil chilli with wedges

On toast - cheese/ beans/egg/jam

On potato - cheese/coleslaw/beans

Omelette - cheese and/or mushroom

Roast dinner - everything but the 'roast' (any alternatives to 'nut loaf' given I can't eat nuts?)

Cooked breakfast - toast, beans, egg, mushrooms, hash brown

It would be great if people could suggest any other recipes that take a max 30 mins (or slow cooker), suitable for reducing volume to serve a singleton, and aren't nut/meat substitute based?

Also interested in if anyone else is giving up anything for lent - Any coping strategies in place, or just gonna wing it?

Thanks all :D
That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    New shadow - I'm not a veggie either, but we have a meatbfree day each week.

We enjoy Veg curries, chilli's etc

Will you use Quorn substitutes, if so you have mince, chicken and sausages to add.

Make sure you keep your protein up.

There are some amazing veggie recipes and I'm sure those with much more 'hands on' knowledge than me will be along soon.

Will watch this thread with interest :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    For Lent I shall be giving up chocolates and shop-bought sweets/desserts. We eat far too many of those things in our house, they cost a lot and they're not all that good nutritionally.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    try adding more veg to things and maybe make a few veggie curries, nice with boiled eggs
  • nonnie44
    nonnie44 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No chocolate for me :)
  • NewShadow
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    New shadow - I'm not a veggie either, but we have a meatbfree day each week.

We enjoy Veg curries, chilli's etc

Will you use Quorn substitutes, if so you have mince, chicken and sausages to add.

I've always tried to have the odd meat free days - but those are the days I end up snacking on junk or a back of cheese because I don't 'feel' like I've had a real meal.

No - I really don't like quorn or the other 'artificial meats' - too synthetic for my taste.
    oldtractor wrote: »
    try adding more veg to things and maybe make a few veggie curries, nice with boiled eggs

A recipe (that isn't mostly fresh veg given how infrequently I get to the shops) would be amazing.

I've tried shakshuka - which was different, but nice - for breakfast. Not sure my head would count it as 'dinner'.

• usernameisvalid
    Options
    There's a lot of recipes for bean burgers , or even just a flat mushroom burger

Same as meatballs, can be made with beans or chick peas

I think there's some recipes in the index in the grocery challenge , if not look online
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you eat fish instead a few meals?
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • NewShadow
    Options
    There's a lot of recipes for bean burgers , or even just a flat mushroom burger

Same as meatballs, can be made with beans or chick peas

I think there's some recipes in the index in the grocery challenge , if not look online

Thanks - I've been having a poke around (that's how I've pulled together the one's in the OP), but I always appreciate tried and tested recipes from fellow forumites.

Is there a particular bean burger recipe you've tried that's worked well for you?

Do the meatballs hold together if you cook them in a sauce (assuming you bake them first) or do you need to add them when serving? (silly question - I know).

• NewShadow
    edited 24 February 2017 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Could you eat fish instead a few meals?

I was counting fish as meat - sorry if not clear.

In the (not) words of Henry Tudor - 'Did it breathe?'

ETA - just bought some of the books I used to like when I lived at home. All 80's classics ;):

Simply Delicious: A Vegetarian Cookbook (Rose Elliot)
    Not Just a Load of Old Lentils (Rose Elliot)
    The Pauper's Cookbook (Jocasta Innes)

Also looking for a copy of 'thrifty fifty' that's less than £5ish

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Egg and tomato curry with some peas and carrots with a few spoons of lentils

Mushroom tagliatelle is another nice one with sliced mixed peppers in a light cheese sauce nice with oven roasted tomatoes in basil

Tortilla wraps filled with cooked mixed veg like mushrooms, peppers, spring onions, olives, sun dried tomatoes, rocket all mixed with cream cheese (can add quorn if you like)

Vegetable pizza with added mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and olives

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure