Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Certainly in terms of marketing, but the console itself is excellent and has a strong library of games.

I expect I'll be getting a Switch eventually, but probably not at launch. There is the issue with the lack of confirmed launch titles, but it's more a time thing really in that I don't spend a lot of time playing games nowadays. It's difficult to justify getting a console at launch when I know I'm probably not going to get a great deal of use out of it.

Yeah, I feel the main problem with the Wii U is simply its image and the name was a huge mistake as it implied it was a Wii style console when it was a generation on. The mandatory gamepad was a mistake but they had the sense to move away from that and allow the excellent Wii Pro controller to be used instead. Of the current generation my Wii U was my favourite of the three consoles for offering something different to everything else whereas the PS4/Xbox One feel increasingly anonymous.

Where the Wii U really excelled was in local multiplayer, not just for actually supporting it when increasingly split screen is becoming a distance memory on other platforms but for the superb support of peripherals. Unlike the Xbox One and PS4 which both dumped support for their previous generation accessories, the Wii U could support Wii controllers mixed in with Wii U controllers without issue - I've had four players going with the gamepad, pro controller, Wii Classic controller and a Wiimote.

Unfortunately the Switch throws all that out the Window with no support for the older peripherals and only offers insanely expensive new accessories which seem designed to discourage local multiplayer and instead encourage people to have multiple Switch consoles for multiplayer which I'm not doing. I'm also not impressed with them finally offering the missing battle mode from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Wii U and offering it in a Switch exclusive and forcing people to rebuy it all - that feels much more like a Microsoft/Sony tactic and disappointing to see Nintendo take that up along with the price gouging on accessories (almost £30 for a basic charger...wow)

I'll wait and see how the console does once it gets past its launch day hype, there's some choice of games out and prices have calmed down as at launch consoles are usually pretty terrible.

John
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Switch throws all that out the Window with no support for the older peripherals and only offers insanely expensive new accessories

I'm *hoping* that won't be the case, I haven't seen anything that explicitly confirms the older bluetooth controllers like the wiimote/classic controller won't be supported. I would hope that wiimotes and classic controllers may still be used on the Switch - hell look at games like Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U - that lets you throw just about any controller with an analogue stick at it (not to mention the games that still let you use Gamecube controllers!).
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I'm also not impressed with them finally offering the missing battle mode from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Wii U and offering it in a Switch exclusive and forcing people to rebuy it all - that feels much more like a Microsoft/Sony tactic and disappointing to see Nintendo take that up along with the price gouging on accessories (almost £30 for a basic charger...wow)

The charging grip won't be necessary anyhow, you can charge the joycons connected to the switch, and most people are likely to leave it all in the dock overnight to recharge. The SMK 8 Deluxe comment is right on the nose, though. There is no way in hell I'm rebuying it - however if they offered it as DLC for the Wii U version I'd be tempted.
  • FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Amazon have sold out of their pre-order allocation...

The relevance of this depends solely on the size of that allocation.

I'm getting the feeling this will be another misfire but desperately want to play the new Zelda...decisions.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,765 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    FredG wrote: »
    I'm getting the feeling this will be another misfire but desperately want to play the new Zelda...decisions.

I presume you've spotted that it;s also being released for the Wii U ?

I'll be buying that version - we already have various generations of DS/3DS/DS XL handhelds plus N64, Gamecube, Wii and Wii U in the house that still get plenty of use, so I personally can't see that a Switch will add anything for us,
  • They've sold out of pre-orders because Nintendo have done what they always do, have a limited supply to give an overinflated sense of desire for the product, and to build hype.

I have one on pre-order, but I'm far from happy for what has been presented, Nintendo being Nintendo again, proving once again, nothing changes. Wii U Mk.2.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They've sold out of pre-orders because Nintendo have done what they always do, have a limited supply to give an overinflated sense of desire for the product, and to build hype.

You can say this about all the console manufacturers, surely? I still remember waiting a week for a replacement of my RROD'd Xbox 360 directly by MS not long after release because you just couldn't swap it in store.

I think determining how many to build and then the logistics of shipping them all around the world to meet release day is just a mindblowing task - not one I'd like to put my name down to.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    FredG wrote: »
    The relevance of this depends solely on the size of that allocation.

Well there is that.

Though you'd have to assume Amazon have access to more than "a few"
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have one on pre-order, but I'm far from happy for what has been presented, Nintendo being Nintendo again, proving once again, nothing changes. Wii U Mk.2.
    This would be a bad thing for Nintendo in terms of sales figures, but are you saying that this is a bad thing for those who do actually buy one? The Wii U is a great console.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    I'm *hoping* that won't be the case, I haven't seen anything that explicitly confirms the older bluetooth controllers like the wiimote/classic controller won't be supported. I would hope that wiimotes and classic controllers may still be used on the Switch - hell look at games like Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U - that lets you throw just about any controller with an analogue stick at it (not to mention the games that still let you use Gamecube controllers!).

They've confirmed none of the older accessories are supported:

https://mic.com/articles/165115/nintendo-switch-controller-options-compatibility-what-controllers-support-the-switch#.mUswLUFJe

"Sorry, but the answer is none of them. We asked a Nintendo representative at the hands-on event on Jan. 13 and they confirmed that the Switch won't support any older controllers."
    The charging grip won't be necessary anyhow, you can charge the joycons connected to the switch, and most people are likely to leave it all in the dock overnight to recharge. The SMK 8 Deluxe comment is right on the nose, though. There is no way in hell I'm rebuying it - however if they offered it as DLC for the Wii U version I'd be tempted.

It's a pain you can't use the supplied grip in the first place but it's pretty much unusable for multiple controllers - with the Wiimotes you could just chuck in AA batteries and the Wii Pro controller could run off any USB port making it easy to get controllers together for multiplayer. Even aside from the crazy cost of the controllers and the lack of backwards compatibility, there's no way I'd be cycling round controllers with the main switch to recharge them nor buying a £30 dock. Nor buying a Switch for every player as seems to be Nintendo's intention.

John
  • FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Well there is that.

Though you'd have to assume Amazon have access to more than "a few"

Yep, but still in order to be relevant you need to put a number on it. 10,000 may be a significant number for another product, for a games console it ain't much.

I can't see this hitting PS2, 360, PS4 or Wii numbers at all, in fact I doubt it'll touch Xbox One numbers which is deemed to be failing when actually it's doing quite respectable numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure