Defence Discount Service - accepted retailer list

Hello all

Now, I could be losing my marbles, but does anyone have a list of retailers that accept the Defence Discount Service card please? I'm wondering if it's worth getting one (Mr Bumblebear is a serving regular, we've been together 4 out of the 6 years he's served and I've only just found out about the scheme...); but neither the website or the app actually seem to want to tell me where it could be used, if we purchased one. Do we have to buy one, then see if we can use it later?

Many thanks :-)
Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670

Comments

• Sub Zero Store will accept the DDS card. You'll just need to add the code during checkout to get the 25% discount - FORCESZ. It is a great little company that sells outdoor clothing and gear, a lot of it made in the UK.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 November 2016 at 11:46AM
    We got one, and it's saved us loads, we use it most in Costa (even at service stations on the motorway) Sports Direct and Subway. Some MacDonalds do it but not all. We've bought vouchers from Halfords at a discount and used them to buy bikes. My parents used theirs with P+O to get spending credit on their cruise, and some places even if they don't do a military discount when you show the card will give you a discount anyway - e.g. Shoe Zone said they didn't do a military discount but they gave me a student discount, and Stonehenge cafe gave a staff discount instead as they didn't do a military discount. I think some camping shops like Millets do an online discount too.

The £5 I paid for it we've had back many times over in just a few months.

Incidentally if he's a regular he should already have been given one - my hubby only realised he had one after I'd applied for one as a dependant and it had arrived and he looked in his wallet and said "Oh, I've already got one of these!!"
  • Thank you, both. And 13Kent, *sigh*, you're probably right - and it's probably buried in a box somewhere in his mum's house never to see the light of day again*! SportsDirect is a bit annoying as between us we spent £80 in there last week (I know, it's evil but it's convenient and the only place DH can get the shoes he likes). He also spent £150 in Halfords last month... As we live apart in the week it sounds like getting my own card (or a card, even) might be a good idea - thanks all.

*Honestly, when going through his childhood/pre-wife bedroom I found £20 odd in ClubCard vouchers. I reclaimed the out of date ones for him, boosted them, and bought him £40 of stuff he wanted on Tesco Direct to illustrate my point!
  • 13Kent
    Forumite
    I feel your pain! My hubby is useless with things like that too - I put it down to the military doing almost everything for him!!
  • I feel your pain! My hubby is useless with things like that too - I put it down to the military doing almost everything for him!!

On the other hand, if you want a husband who does the ironing - marry a serviceman!
  • 13Kent
    Forumite
    Hmm he CAN do the ironing whether he does or not is another matter entirely :)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,972
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    13Kent - perhaps I'm lucky. He's always done the ironing - even my old WRAF shirts with 8 pleats!(although he did whinge about them). Now we're both retired, we've divvied up the house work - and he chose to keep the ironing. Mind you, nowadays he does it with a war film on the TV and a beer to hand!
  • Thank you Silvertabby (wonderful name by the way ;-))

You're so right about the ironing, I cannot abide it and only iron what *must* be ironed. I put this down to being brought up by my mother who irons bra straps, trainer socks, tea towels etc. Anyway, my lack of ironing means I'm hopeless at it, so I've been known to make a hash of it in the presence of DH, get him to demonstrate correct technique, on every item, until the bottom of the pile is reached. Ta-da! :j:j
  • My hubby is ex forces & is brilliant at ironing not that he does much now! He used to do it & once i had ignored so he put perfect knife pleats on a pair if french knickers, it took lots of washes to get rid of them!!
  • We dont have the discount card but found that by husband just flashing his ID Card in most places gets him a discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure