Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan PPI reclamation ?

Comments

• as for what form of the misselling applies, in as succinct terms as possible-
    a)being told that THEIR insurance was mandatory when it wasnt,isnt and will never be,-"You may've been told insurance was compulsory – it isn't, and that alone counts as mis-selling" b) the policy being innapropriately superflous to better cover WHICH I ALREADY HAD!- eg the bit that says 'Here, the salesperson is responsible to ensure you both understood the terms of any PPI and that the policy was appropriate;'
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    so if none of what is said in the guide is true why is it existing?

You need to ask the person that wrote the guide.
    im sorry, but i dont get it- ppi , wether loan or mortgage ppi, is missold under those circumstances- which are exactly the case,

So prove it to them and you have your case.
    i was told in 2005 i had to have their own in house tmpp and no one elses, and that is what is ruled as illegal now, so why is there a doubt here?

It is not illegal or unlawful or against any rules. If a provider offers special terms and makes the purchase of another of their products a mandatory requirement then that is allowed.

It is when you are told you have to have it when you don't that is the issue.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • then im entirely missing the point i guess. thought this was all about the fact you never 'have' to have a particular product, despite what a bank tells you, and people were supposed to be allowed to go elsewhere? i never asked for it and it was forced on me to be allowed the mortgage- and before anyone says i didnt have to have the mortgage, i did, its my grandfathers/the family home and when he died i was the only one in the family in a good job, so it was this or lose it (that and i already lived there). im pretty sure in hindsight the advisor/salesperson knew she had me bent over a barrel, and that i would believe anything she said- i knew no different until now. i wonder how many fall into the trap of doing whatever the person with the paperwork says when first time buying, and not knowing they can go elsewhere for any of it on the same property.
  • ' FSA has said it has fewer concerns as mortgage PPI mis-selling is less common and lenders can say it’s important you get a policy alongside the mortgage, although they're not allowed to say it MUST be theirs.'
  • dunstonh
    ' FSA has said it has fewer concerns as mortgage PPI mis-selling is less common and lenders can say it’s important you get a policy alongside the mortgage, although they're not allowed to say it MUST be theirs.'

For non special offer mortgages that is correct. However, if you buy a special offer that insists on their own product they can.

its a bit like the current Santander cash ISA that insists you buy a Santander Investment product at the same time. You can buy their normal cash ISA with normal terms without the investment but you only get the special terms with their other product. Lenders did the same and it was very common in the 90s but less so nowadays.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kiki98
    kiki98 Posts: 26 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    For non special offer mortgages that is correct. However, if you buy a special offer that insists on their own product they can.QUOTE]

So how do you know if you have a 'special offer mortgage' or not? Surely they can't just turn around and say that's the case without backing it up with some evidence?

Sorry to hijack the debate a bit haha
    March £5 a day challenge - £48.56/£155
  • dunstonh
    kiki98 wrote: »
    dunstonh wrote: »
    For non special offer mortgages that is correct. However, if you buy a special offer that insists on their own product they can.QUOTE]

So how do you know if you have a 'special offer mortgage' or not? Surely they can't just turn around and say that's the case without backing it up with some evidence?

Sorry to hijack the debate a bit haha

The product terms would state it. These are on record and the onus will be on them to confirm that with any complaint. If they cant confirm it then it will be assumed that it was not mandatory.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kiki98 wrote: »
    i was told in 2005 i had to have their own in house tmpp and no one elses

By 2005, the lender would have issued a "Key Facts" document which specified what insurances were compulsory and whether or not you had to purchase them from the lender.

that is what is ruled as illegal now, so why is there a doubt here?

There is not a doubt. It was NOT illegal to require it, only to make clear whether it was or was not compulsory and whether or not it was compulsory to buy it from the lender.
  • hadenoughofthehalifaxnow
    hadenoughofthehalifaxnow Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2011 at 3:43PM
    my point exactly- i understand they can specify insurance must be taken, but it never had to be their own and its this that wasnt only made clear but blatantly made out otherwise. whatever the key facts brochure said, the advisor said many times to me and other family that were involved that THEIR product (halifax tmpp) was a compulsory purchase with the mortgage. lies for the sake of the commission they were getting i guess(maybe why they had independent salespeople for mortgages), along with her ignoring the 'silent partner' 30% of my mortgage.guess its our word against theirs, which comes down to fighting a bank. yay. i give up, these are one kind of thief that seemingly cannot be bought to justice.
  • flower28
    flower28 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi i have recieved a letter last week stating thier owe me £1984.31 and i got a letter to sign and send back if i am happy. I have been advised this is the best figure i will get on a £52000 mortgage i had.
    hope this helps.

melymoo wrote: »
    Has anyone received a payout from tmpp? i did for 2 years. during this time i paid my montly direct debit to the tmpp. when the claim was finished, the direct debits continued to come out of my bank account, i thought this was fine as i needed to claim again due to the illness continuing. However I found out to my shock and dismay that you cannot claim for a certain amount of time if you have already been awarded a payout!!!

I continued to pay my tmpp for over a year, despite being unable to use the tmpp! I then cancelled my tmpp. I want to know if I can reclaim the year and half of £46 direct debits that i was paying despite being unable to claim again!!! any experiences, help is much appreciated.

also it was a few years ago now, so i am unsure if i have a case and if i could get recompense for the money taken from me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure