From unemployed to having 3 job offers - How do I choose?

Had an account here before but forgot my password but always been reading this forum.

Hi all. I handed in my notice around a month ago as where I work is very frustrating. Despite having a partner, house and 2 children, I just could not take it anymore and started applying for roles with little success up until now.

I got a job offer from a small financial broker which pays me well but I am scepitcal about working for another small company as I never heard of this place until the recruiter made contact.

Second company pays me less but has decent bonus potential. I also know a few people that work there and in regards to doing the role, I should fit in pretty well. Main problem is it's less senior than what I am doing now and in has an exclusive focus on sales which is something I am trying to move away from.

Third company is the one I am least likley to join and pay the lowest. Main benefit though is the location being the closest and the people so far being the best I have met.

I am making this thread looking for advice about how do I got about choosing which company to work for? Any tips will be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'd go for the first one. The best companies I've worked for are those I had never heard of before and I prefer small companies.

But you may not.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You have to go for which ever you feel most comfortable with. As long as the pay is fair. After all you will be spending a lot of time there so you need to be happy and will more of a chance of staying if you are happy. Also which has the best long term prospects?

Location does make a difference esp with children.

OP congratulations on getting the offers and hey what a good problem to have !
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I know you say you want to move away from sales, but I'd always strongly consider a place where I know people - purely because you know a lot more about the employer! Seniority is something you can work up to again.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    A drop in seniority after leaving what was clearly a very stressful situation is possibly no bad thing. There is nothing to stop you looking for career advancement down the line.
    As you have 3 job offers it's clear that both you and your skills are in demand. Sit back for a while (metaphorically speaking) and bask in the glow of being wanted. :-)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Why do you need to hear of a company beforehand?

No-one ever has heard of us, we have no website, we don't put names on vehicles, yet my staff rarely leave and tell me that this is the best job they've ever had.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    bugslet wrote: »
    Why do you need to hear of a company beforehand?

No-one ever has heard of us, we have no website, we don't put names on vehicles, yet my staff rarely leave and tell me that this is the best job they've ever had.
    That's wonderful. But the description also applies to a lot of the worst employers ever. How do you know the difference when offered employment?
  • Thanks for the replies guys, to answer a few of the questions.

In terms of long term prospects, it is split between the first two quite equally thought the second is quite a large professional firm with a global reach. Top 10 in its industry. The office of the first one is 2 hours away, though I will be working from home most of the time.

A bit of background, when I started looking for jobs I was struggling for interviews and then my friend got me an interview with the second firm. Blew away the first interview but something was off at the second. I didn’t think it was down to me, the two people interviewing were just showing me 0 engagement and I ended up not being offered the job, initially.

So I carried on looking and got offered a role for this broker I mentioned. 1 week after, the place I failed the interview for called me wanting to arrange another meet. Apparently the people who done my first interview insisted that they call me in again.

Such a weird position to be in. The second place will be ideal in regards to my current skill set and the people I know there, only problem is that I got such a bad first impression during my second interview, it left a bad taste in my mouth
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    sangie595 wrote: »
    That's wonderful. But the description also applies to a lot of the worst employers ever. How do you know the difference when offered employment?

Just as you don;t know what a big company will be like to work for, where the most important people that determine this are your manager and your close colleagues
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure