PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• I have a small ceramic kitchen knife that one of the girls got as a Christmas present a few years ago and it's an amazing tool, it is as sharp now (despite daily use) as it was when it was new and still enables me to slice tomatoes beautifully thinly for sandwiches. I'm ultra cautions when I use it, it's something to be respected and handled with a degree of caution. The only downside is that if it's dropped it is possible to shatter the blade or damage it enough that it would not be useable. Really good bit of kit though!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 March 2017 at 10:18AM
    I have a ceramic kitchen knife too, bought as a little pressie for me by a family member. So sharp it comes with a plastic sheath for the blade, I kid you not.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    So sharp it comes with a plastic sheath for the blade, I kid you not.

Yep, all mine came with sheaths too.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 March 2017 at 11:22PM
    My sons grew up with knives - steel blades, given to each aged 5, in a sheath with some Very Clear House Rules & a small cuts kit.
    A lot of relatives squalked, but years later the lads carry, hold, use, clean, sharpen and store knives sensibly. (Alongside being able to start & usually control fires, cook for a given value of hunger, iron better than I can and sundry other life skills we reckoned were worth teaching plus individuals have learned to fish, sew a shirt, embroider [oddly relaxing for the stressed mind, no games, drugs, booze etc needed - we grin crafters are onto something]).

We still get the odd squalk, but if I don't remember the knives have been sharpened I'm the one complaining the kitchen cuts kit has run out of plasters & the lads are arriving with an "Oh, Mother!" expression & a handful of plasters. (Just as well I'm not fazed if my green soup has a splash of red in it from time to time.)

They also appear to have passed on the "do not prat about" teaching, at school when some young lunk was "playing" with a scalpel (got immobilised & denied a scalpel all class by his classmates, but got worked clear examples of the correct 'how to' shown) & at scouts when a lad misunderstood the tool & needed a sticky plaster swiftly. Got the plaster, a demonstration of sensible handling & was quietly watched by both son & scoutleader for the rest of the session. Leader did the paperwork & checked the facts with the son.

We're still devoted to good steel though, ceramics (whilst effective) evade metal detectors & that has implications we just disapprove of.

When all the bodies are counted (may all those healing recover, in body & mind) a knife, like a car, is a tool. Use it in accordance with agreed rules, it's a tool. Deliberately misuse it, it's a weapon, no matter what the motivation.
  • Karmacat
    My sons grew up with knives - steel blades, given to each aged 5, in a sheath with some Very Clear House Rules & a small cuts kit.
    A lot of relatives squalked, but years later the lads carry, hold, use, clean, sharpen and store knives sensibly. (Alongside being able to start & usually control fires, cook for a given value of hunger, iron better than I can and sundry other life skills we reckoned were worth teaching plus individuals have learned to fish, sew a shirt, embroider [oddly relaxing for the stressed mind, no games, drugs, booze etc needed - we grin crafters are onto something]).
    Sounds great!
    They also appear to have passed on the "do not prat about" teaching, at school when some young lunk was "playing" with a scalpel (got immobilised & denied a scalpel all class by his classmates, but got worked clear examples of the correct 'how to' shown) & at scouts when a lad misunderstood the tool & needed a sticky plaster swiftly. Got the plaster, a demonstration of sensible handling & was quietly watched by both son & scoutleader for the rest of the session. Leader did the paperwork & checked the facts with the son.
    Sounds even better!
    We're still devoted to good steel though, ceramics (whilst effective) evade metal detectors & that has implications we just disapprove of.
    Erm, I'm sure that my mother, who was then aged about 80, wasn't thinking of that when she bought mine for me as a stocking filler.

It puts me in mind of when I last used Eurostar - my hand luggage didn't pass the security inspection, and I was told to unpack it and step 3 paces back, very firmly. Not about knives - it was all packed so neatly, including a short metal piece that was the stem of my collapsible umbrella, that it looked suspiciously like a bomb. I kid you not, thats what they told me. Took me a while to repack as tidily, I can tell you!
  • I got pulled going through a security check at the airport when DD1 and I were flying off to Sweden for the first time, the security guy said I had what looked like a blade in the suitcase, somewhat mystified ? he opened up the case and there inside was a cardboard packet of dried fruit bars, 5 in number and beside it one extra one (because there were 2 of us) to make it 6 and it was laid sideways rather than flat, in a foil outer!!! he laughed so much and called his colleagues to see before saying he'd NEVER seen a 'flag up' because of a fruit bar before and we continued our journey, giggling!!!

However I am so relieved that they DO pull people over and check anomalies, I'd much rather be checked every time we travel than face the risk otherwise!
  • Karmacat
    Brilliant!

Totally agree about being glad of the security - thats exactly why I was pleased about the army being called in for Olympics security when G4whatever mucked up, I knew we'd be safer.

Even today, the cross-Channel ferries are amazing for the detailed checks they run, my sister often got stopped and searched or papers given a very detailed check.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have managed to set off an airport scanner with tiny metal bits in my feet after surgery. I was quite proud of that.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Airport security scanners are very erratic. I got ticked-off at Auckland International (leaving) because the scanner picked up on the foil side of the plastic strip which holds my tablets (not an issue at Heathrow when outbound) or at the same airport inbound.

Yet, at the same time, Auckland didn't pick up on the metal nail file which I forgot I had in my jacket pocket! Go figure.

My Mum obviously looks like a dodgy character because she always gets pulled for an extra bag search. Dunno what about a mumsy pensioner flags up as potentially being a no-goodnik, but it happens to her all the time.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Travel agent pal of mine gets pulled Every Single Time too - we reckon her name & date of birth must match someone on a Known list.
    She now has a fine old time imagining what her alter-ego has done while happily cooperating with searches etc. Her local airport staff think she's a honey, as how many folk would put up with what to them is a pointless search at least once a month with such grace (and on two occasions scolding the [trainee] search officer for forgetting some of the words!)?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure