Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Comments

• soul1
    soul1 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm just now wondering when Sainsbury's will get rid of or change their live well for less motto. It should now be live well for more or just live well.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    soul1 wrote: »
    I'm just now wondering when Sainsbury's will get rid of or change their live well for less motto. It should now be live well for more or just live well.
    Or just "line our greedy corporate pockets".

I don't disagree with making a profit, but can't support the sneaky methodology.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • soul1
    edited 27 February 2017 at 3:37PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Or just "line our greedy corporate pockets".

I don't disagree with making a profit, but can't support the sneaky methodology.

Totally agree with you there. Corporate greed definitely does spring to mind imho. Just to add that somebody told me that Sainsbury's Chief Executive was recently on TV complaining about the new business rates, but from what I have read on here, Sainsbury's seem to have done well out of it.
    Also it would be interesting to hear from others with regards to what they think of the pricing at Argos and whether it is competitive or not with other retailers especially Amazon.
    In some ways though Sainsbury's have done me a favour as now I shop at all the other supermarkets instead and I have now worked out which ones offer the best prices with regards to certain products. Having said that, Sainsbury's is still the most expensive out of them all and that includes Waitrose.
  • soul1
    Hi everyone just popped into my local Sainsbury's store this week just to get a few essential items and noticed the following. Sainsbury's basics eggs, we have been buying these for years but noticed this time that all the eggs are much smaller and are not mixed sizes which is what the packaging says. Also the price of these eggs has gone up. Next we bought a pack of 4 croissants and noticed that not only has the price gone up, but the croissants are also much smaller. How bad is that?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I recently had a box of Aldi eggs in the fridge next to a box of Sainsbugs basics eggs... and the Aldi ones were tiny wee budgie eggs - even the husband commented. So for me anyway, the difference wasn't obvious yet. But I missed the price rise, didn't spot that!
  • artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just a heads up about eggs at the moment.

Because of bird flu, government guidelines mean most birds have been moved indoors since the back end of December. So basically all "free range" eggs are actually barn eggs at the moment. I have seen notices up in our local aldi, sainsburys and home bargains. The lidl eggs have a sticker on the box indicating this also.

This seems to mean that since the birds are indoors, they are less likely to lay the consistent sized/larger eggs that most are used to.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    it's getting silly in Sains now, so many things are going up almost on a weekly basis. I've stopped shopping there now so they will be shooting themselves in the foot with this I think as their market share drops.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I wonder about the other supermarkets though - are they the same? Surely they must be. I know that Aldi costs a lot more than it used to, but that's the only other one I go to. I agree re stopping buying as the only way to go - need to try and cut down again -- be living on soup and fresh air soon!
  • Yes, prices have gone up at all supermarkets, or pack sizes shrunk. Even at Lidl, which is my local discount retailer. However, what was notable about Sainsbury's was that they went first, many price rises on the goods I buy were around 10% and their prices remain much higher than the competition.
  • Yes, prices have gone up at all supermarkets, or pack sizes shrunk. Even at Lidl, which is my local discount retailer. However, what was notable about Sainsbury's was that they went first, many price rises on the goods I buy were around 10% and their prices remain much higher than the competition.

Agreed - it's not just Sainsbury's; prices at my local Tesco have also been creeping up.

Heard an economist on the radio the other day saying that, post-Brexit, we were all going to have to get used to more expensive food. Hope he's wrong :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure