Will he ever eat anything else?

13»

Comments

• clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Maybe he's just not a breakfast person? Plenty of adults aren't, it;s very rare I wake up and want something to eat straight away

If he eats well the rest of the day I'd try giving him something a little later (and don't get hung up on 'breakfast foods'
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your HV doesn't sound like she's helping you and lots of her 'advice' doesn't match what the NHS says.

It's recommended that you move onto cows milk from 12 months for cost reasons but age appropriate formula is fine. So is gradually mixing cows milk in, in increasing quantities to get him used to it. Whatever you decide.

It's recommended moving from bottles to cups from 12 months in case your child sips milk over a long time with a bottle. This exposes their teeth to the milk for much longer which is bad for them. However if they guzzle their milk or you brush what teeth they have regularly then it's no problem. Half the mum's I know didn't stop bottles at 1 year. I still know two that allow their 2/3 year olds to have bedtime milk in a bottle still. They brush their teeth after so is it really a big deal.

We all find these things stressful at the time and when we look back we wish we were easier on ourselves. Try to relax and know that every stage passes and many things are recommendations rather than rules.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My 6 year old ate the baby porridge from Heinz meant for 4 months upwards until she was about 5.

She simply liked the taste of it and as it had grains and yogurt and fruit in it, I thought what's the harm?

She decided herself to give it up, gradually moving on to toast and egg and such like.

Didn't make an issue out of it, but towards the end, she didn't want her friends knowing she ate it and her sister (two years older) referred to it as baby slop all the time.

As for the formula milk, my eldest was on it till about 4. I just found it easy enough to sterilise a heap of bottles and give them both the formula and I was happy they were full.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • I really wouldnt worry about it. My second daughter refused to take a bottle EVER whether it be expressed breast milk or formula. Luckily she accepted a sippy cup from about 4 months in emergency and NEVER if I was in the vicinity. At the time they were saying start weaning at 4 months- that girl was walking round at 7.5 months but still would take nothing but milk.

Shortly after she decided to grab some of her elder sisters food off plate and eat that but was never very adventurous

At school the dinner ladies were proud of themselves if they managed to persuade her to try anything apart from her usual few things

However when she was 10 or 11 we were on one of those all inclusive holidays where it is buffet style- for some reason she was them prepared to try most of it.

Shes now 23 and eats a wide range of foods. Shes also expecting a baby- be interesting to see if her child any different

As for breakfast- I can rarely face anything before about 10am - and Im a complete foodie. I do tend top much a banana if Im out on road for work though
  • When I was an au-pair I was shocked, how can children be bound to what they know, I mean food. But children grow up and things are changing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure