Help wanted

Kinski
Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
My new grandson has a club foot and in a few weeks he'll be wearing boots and bar ( sorry no idea how to do links from my iPad ) and I've been asked if I can make a cover for the bar. I can do basic sewing but I've no idea how to do one, I've seen one where a foam pipe was used to cover the bar but I'd prefer a flat cover, I've hunted for a tutorial but I'm coming up blank can anyone please let me know if they've made anything like this and how to do it.

Comments

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd like to try and help but I have never made one and would need to see a picture to give any ideas.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • *Jellie*
    I popped "Sewing club foot boot and bar" into a search on Pinterest and a few things came up which might be helpful for you. Are you on pinterest?http://diyshowoff.com/2015/05/01/dig-club-foot-brace-cover/
  • *Jellie*
    Sorry for multiple posts but ipad is playing up. The link I posted has a tutorial for sewing what I think you mean. If it isn't suitable there are plenty more on pinterest.
  • Kinski
    Thanks Jellie, that's the one I saw and I do like it but I'm hoping to do one without the pipe. There's a company in America that make them but they're about £10 and then there would be postage so not worth it, I'll have a go at one and see if I can manage to cobble something together.
  • *Jellie*
    Maybe you could use wadding instead of the pipe so it has some padding. Maybe quilt a reactangular shape and use snaps or velcro to close it?
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Good suggestion Jellie, I have some thick soft upholstery wadding (much more dense that quilt wadding) that might be a good option kinski? I note the comment in jellies link about potential doinks on the head from the bar
    Happy to help if I can :)
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Kinski
    Thank you ladies the wadding is a brilliant idea, I'm pretty sure I have some in the attic I just need to send my oh up to find it. Thanks for the offer trix-a-belle I should manage to make something for him, I've not had my sewing machine out for ages and it's about time the dust was wiped of it 😂. I initially thought that it was just for cosmetic looks but then I read about people being hit by the bar and getting hurt, my grandson won't be getting the boots and bar until he's 12 weeks I think so I've got 8 weeks before I can make them for him, they can't say how long the bar is going to be as he needs to be measured before they can fit it. He'll be in the b&b for 24 hrs a day for a few months then after that only at night until he's either 4 or 5, he's such a happy baby and doesn't seem to bothered with the plaster cast he has to wear at the moment.
    Thanks again ladies I appreciate your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure