The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Santander data leak or address book assault ? AKA Direct Debiting Seminar Invite.

Received a number of messages to disposable email addresses used with Santander, subsidiaries and previous successful acquisition targets titled "Direct Debiting Seminar Invite". Message originates from a US IP and the body mentions Natwest and the zip attachment is allegedly a trojan.

By the looks of it, it is a leak of old data, stolen HD etc.

Comments

• wiseshark
    wiseshark Posts: 288 Forumite
    Forward the emails to your bank.
    You may question anything I say. Just be polite, otherwise you go straight on to my Ignore List, which funds a good old fashioned knees-up every Xmas. Cheers;)
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I also got this today and my bank is not Santander - so I suspect it is just random phishing.

As already said forward to you bank
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Report it to your email provider. They are more likely to be able to do anything about these sorts of emails than some bank that has randomly been mentioned in the emails.
  • dtaylor84
    dtaylor84 Posts: 648
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I (and someone else I know) have also received this mail to addresses only ever provided to Santander.

It does appear they have leaked some addresses somehow.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I also had several - interestingly also to a normally secure email with a limited circulation list who have it.
    So indeed someone has got access to email database of some interest

See also here
    http://blog.mxlab.eu/2013/11/04/fake-email-with-subject-direct-debiting-seminar-invite-from-employee-of-natwest-contains-trojan/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    where again it is being reported that it is going to email addresses only given out to select few companies etc.
  • I, too, have a unique email address for Santander. Over the past few days I have had loads of Phishing emails addressed to me at this unique address.

A new one this morning - from the "Tax Service" - again using my unique Santander address.

Looks very much as though someone has harvested a load of addresses from Santander.
  • wiseshark wrote: »
    Forward the emails to your bank.

Last time I did that the bank's server bounced it back to me as "Spam"...................
  • squeeks
    squeeks Posts: 309 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2013 at 10:25AM
    I, too, have a unique email address for Santander. Over the past few days I have had loads of Phishing emails addressed to me at this unique address.

A new one this morning - from the "Tax Service" - again using my unique Santander address.

Looks very much as though someone has harvested a load of addresses from Santander.

I do the same as yourself, I use a unique email address for each company I deal with so I can more easily identify who is leaking data. I also have a catch all for a domain, so if people were randomly guessing emails on my domain, that would also be apparent, so it is unlikely to be just guess work.

This morning I had 8 Tax Service / The federal tax service pishing emails complete with viruses to my Santander email account. So yes they have had a data leak some where. No idea if it is just email addresses or other account details.

Seriously underwhelmed by them at the moment.
  • squeeks wrote: »
    So yes they have had a data leak some where.

Just spoken to my wife, she has never given an email address to Santander - she has had none of these emails.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have 3 current accounts and 4 savings accounts with Santander, all managed online & they obviously do have an email address for me. No spam at all - though it might be that my email provider trashed it before it got to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure