Spill the beans... on your happiest childhood Christmas memory

Comments

• podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I remember when I was little we lived on the south coast but my family was originally from Lancashire and we would always drive back up on Christmas Eve. I would end up falling asleep in the back watching the lights on the road. We would stop with my nana on Christmas Eve and if I didn't want to bed then would say they were sure they could hear sleigh bells - and I would go dashing up the stairs! We'd then go to my other grandma's for Christmas dinner - all the extended family would be there, we were quite spread out across the country and abroad it tended to be one of the only times of year when everyone would get together.

It's making me a bit sad looking back now, as my nana and grandad both passed away a few years ago and my grandma has taken a sharp decline this year. I'm going back down there for Christmas for the first time in a few years, as we don't want to say it but she's not doing very well at the moment. She's in hospital at the moment but we're really hoping she's well enough by then to at least come over for Christmas Day.
  • Every christmas is a good christmas in my opinion. I'm so lucky to have been blessed with a wonderful family. I couldn't single out a single memory but seeing my stocking full with presents on christmas day doesn't fail to make me smile :D
    Trying to save up for a deposit for a mortgage....could be a while!!

Comping since 15/06/2014 - thanks to all those who post the competitions ❤️😀
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I was 10 and all my cousins were staying. Being 'grown up' at 10 we were chatting as to if Father Christmas was real or not.......we got up on Christmas morning to find no presents!! My Dad said that he wouldn't come if we didn't believe......about lunchtime there was a knock on the door and who was there but Father Christmas resplendent in his robes (well, as I remember it!!) with a huge sack of presents and apologies for being late :T
    All us kids were completely gobsmacked but it was so fantastic that he had actually come to the house.

For years I asked my Dad who it was that had dressed up but I was 25 with kids of my own before he told me it was his pal Jack :)
    Dad is long gone but I will never forget that Christmas :cry:
  • Denando
    Denando Posts: 103
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Not really the ‘happiest’ memory,but one of the funny ones. My littlebrother and I never went into the living room or looked at presents untileveryone was up and dressed. Toencourage this, we always made breakfast in bed forparents/grandparents/whoever was visiting. One Christmas morning we got up and got dressed, him in his shirt and tie,me in my maxi dress and heels, and went to the kitchen and made toast, tea, setthe trays out nicely and carried them upstairs. Mum wasn’t too impressed as it was only 2.30!

I think my happiest memory would be myfavourite bauble going on the tree. Itwas only a green plastic one, but I loved it and it always had to be the last thingto go on the tree and I always saved it a space in prime position. One everything else was on, I would ceremoniouslyhang the green bauble and Christmas was officially beginning. This tradition went on from when I was about6 (I remember my dad lifting me up to do it) until I left home at 18.
  • My best memory from childhood Christmases is the arrival of my baby sister in 1951, when I was four. What better present could I have had!
  • cdsmiler
    cdsmiler Posts: 956 Forumite
    themull1 wrote: »
    I got a 'dancing bear' one year, it had elastic under its feet that you slip onto your feet, and it danced with you!! Nearly as big as me!!

OMG I had one like hat but it was an Andy Pandy type clown!!! I forgot about him! lol

C xxx
    :p Addicted to Disneyland Paris! :p
    :snow_grin Planning Christmas 2014! :snow_laug
    :D DD born 17th December 09! :D
  • I remember one Christmas we had just moved house and really early on Christmas morning I woke my parents and sister to go downstairs.
    As I was creeping down the stairs I saw the corner of an old fashioned sleigh piled up with presents. It had a red leather seat and gold and red twisted rope with tassles at the ends. I jumped and ran back upstairs thinking Santa was still there!

When my parents eventually convinced me to go down we took the sleigh outside (still about 5.30am!!) and as if by magic it started to snow! I dont think I even looked at my other presents until well after Christmas lunch when my toes had almost frozen solid!

Completely magical christmas!
  • When I was younger I was lucky enough to have a pony and I loved jumping. All the pre-made jumps were really expensive and we used to cobble together piles of sticks to jump over.

One Christmas I came downstairs to open my stocking and my mum asked me to open the curtains. Outside, set out in the garden was a set of four proper wooden jumps that my step-dad had made for me himself. It must've taken him ages and I've no idea how he kept it a secret!

I was so excited about my stocking that I didn't even look out of the window when I opened the curtains. My mum had to ask me what the weather was like before I looked outside properly and we still have the home-video of me jumping around and squealing with happiness. Best Christmas surprise ever and many many happy hours spent jumping them!

Other good memories include reading 'The Night Before Christmas' all together on the sofa after we've laid out stockings, a carrot and a mince pie for santa and rudolf and also Christmas afternoon playing board games with siblings, cousins, parents and aunts and uncles.
  • Deb_S_2
    Deb_S_2 Posts: 560 Forumite
    My best is probably also my naughtiest. I could have only been about 6, woke up really early on Xmas day, got my two brothers out of bed and crept downstairs.

We rummaged under the tree and found a box that looked interesting. We opened it and started playing with the contents - an Evil Kinevil stunt bike and loop the loop. We had been waiting ages for this toy and were oblivious to the noise we were making. It made a really loud noise as you revved the bike up which obviously woke up mum and dad.

To say we were all in the dog house that xmas day is an understatement. But it was great fun whilst it lasted :)
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My parents had very little money but my dad was brilliant at turning his hand to anything.

One Christmas when my little brother was 5 dad presented him with a pedal car which he'd made himself out of scavenged old offcuts of metal from work - dad was a shiprepairer. He'd spent long hours welding the bits together and painting them and the end result was quite amazing.

The look of sheer delight on my little brother's face and my dad's quiet, weary pride...and the love and admiration on my mother's face as she gazed at dad... that was one of my best childhood Christmases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure