Is redundancy on the cards?

Options
My Oh was asked the other day if he was leaving and when he asked why the person said 'Oh so and so said they were going to be doing Health and Safety as part of their new job' which surprised him as this is a big part of his job (the company sent him on a course so that he would be qualified years ago and he is the only person with this qualification).

Another member of his staff told him that someone had asked them if they felt they were being managed properly (this person can't manage themself let alone staff and falls out with everyone they have working for them) my OH gets on well with all his staff and the other people working for the company (although recently his line manager only speaks to him if she really has to and he doesn't know why)

He has a feeling that he is going to be made redundant even though his job will still need to be done.

So my question are what should he do

Wait and see what happens
seek advice (he is a member of a union)
go and ask what is going on

Thank you for you help
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I'd have a word with my manager to see what is going on.

Not sure this is something you can get a constructive advice from a union as it sounds like he just "feels" something isn't right.

Whoever asked her OH whether he was leaving also needs a slap at wrist. Even if you are given information, you don't go and share it this way with people who might be affected!
    ally.
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    Have you heard of the 'testiculis' approach to accomplishing business cost reduction?

If not, you really should Google it.

It's all about a proven and mapped out procedure that companies have to follow when they feel the need to chop out the dead wood and replace it them with younger saplings.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Babbawah wrote: »
    Have you heard of the 'testiculis' approach to accomplishing business cost reduction?

If not, you really should Google it.

It's all about a proven and mapped out procedure that companies have to follow when they feel the need to chop out the dead wood and replace it them with younger saplings.

Hi l tried to google this but l didn't get anything about redundancy bur lots of advice about other things :rotfl: which really didn't help me.

l just hope it is a feeling and doesn't come to anything but you just never know these days what companies are upto. l always thought that being made redundant meant your job was no longer there and no-one else was employed or moved from another department to do the job you were employed to do but time have changed.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Kit1 wrote: »
    l always thought that being made redundant meant your job was no longer there and no-one else was employed or moved from another department to do the job you were employed to do but time have changed.

That has never been the case.

jobs can go the people doing them do not have to be the ones to go, others can gomoving people around(bumping), jobs can be merged requiring fewer overall.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Kit1 wrote: »
    l just hope it is a feeling and doesn't come to anything but you just never know these days what companies are upto. l always thought that being made redundant meant your job was no longer there and no-one else was employed or moved from another department to do the job you were employed to do but time have changed.

Not really. Roles become redundant rather than people, that's true but this doesn't mean this job no longer will be done by someone else. A restructuring is perfect way of moving roles within the company. This could be to another location, department or team.
    ally.
  • Kit1
    Options
    Well OH's instincts were right today he was called in and told his job was at risk then handed a letter telling him. They said they have to make savings at least 15x's his salary (so far no-one else has been told their job is at risk).

In the pack was a new job description of the person they want to employ to do part of his job the rest sounds like is being given out to other members of staff returning to work but who only want to work part-time and they will employ another 2 people on top of that so where are they going to save money?
  • Mrsdee_3
    Options
    Start looking for a new job now, and have the satisfaction of getting the boot in first, and tell them where to shove it.

I was told one in a job, that I was to get a ten percent cut in wages for the good of the company, so in response I put in my notice and walked straight into another job with better pay.

MORAL: There is always something better for you out there :D
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How long has he been working there? By all means keep a look out for somewhere else.
    But why go elsewhere, and miss out on the redundancy package plus PILON.
    Sounds to as if the company have already got everything in place, they are now just making sure they abide by the right procedure.

Search on the Government website for advice for their guidance, liaise with the Union, and have some 'irons-in-the-fire' for alternative work when the time comes - which could be a couple more months.

Also avoid any large spending commitments in the meantime!

HTHs Good-luck
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Mrsdee wrote: »
    Start looking for a new job now, and have the satisfaction of getting the boot in first, and tell them where to shove it.

I was told one in a job, that I was to get a ten percent cut in wages for the good of the company, so in response I put in my notice and walked straight into another job with better pay.

MORAL: There is always something better for you out there :D
    You do realise you probably did what they wanted?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Kit1
    Options
    no1catman wrote: »
    How long has he been working there?10 years
    By all means keep a look out for somewhere else.
    But why go elsewhere, and miss out on the redundancy package plus PILON. What is PILON?

l think now they are just going through the motions (lip service) but the decision has been made to accommodate those returning to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport