Unable to play .mp4 files on media player

Hi,
My daily commute to work is usually around 3 hours a day in total. To kill time and to stop myself going mad, a couple of years ago I bought an Archos 704 media player.

I've been watching US tv shows downloaded from the net which I've been getting in .avi format. These have always played without a problem. I'm now finding that more and more of the files I download are now in a .mp4 format. The filesize is reduced so they take less time to download and take up less room on the pc / media player so I can understand the attraction. My problem is, my media player won't play them !

I know I can convert the files from one format to another but as far as I'm aware, that can only be done one file at a time and so can be a lengthy process.

I've tried Googling for Archos .mp4 codec/plugin but just get loads of pages showing me where I can buy a new player itself. Any suggestions ?
Thanks.

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
  • Kopite73
    Kopite73 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Having tried the Archos website, apparently they no longer "support" plug in's for my media player so they're not available to buy. I've also emailed them to ask if they can suggest anything but so far nothing.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you sure that the converters only allow you to do one file at a time? I spent much of yesterday converting sound files from .m4a to .mp3 so I can play them through my new car's USB port, and the software I used allowed me to add as many files as I wanted then let the conversion run in the backgound.
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    idea, check the download before downloading, should tell you the filetype in the name shown from wherever your downloading from.
    alternatively, use many of the free coverters available to convert them to the correct format.
    2nd idea, change the extension from mp4 to avi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure