Being prescribed an overdose (again)

esuhl
esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 14 October 2016 at 5:29PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
I was just wondering how "normal" it is for doctors to prescribe overdoses of drugs?

Last year I was prescribed a month-long course of steroids along with antibiotics to treat an infection. The drug information leaflet, however, said several times in bold print that the drugs should never be used for more than 10 days.

I queried this with my GP, who said that it was perfectly safe to ignore any warnings given by drug manufacturers as they're just trying to cover themselves against legal action. Baffled by my hesitancy, he said that it wasn't really necessary to take the steroids at all if I didn't want to, and he'd only prescribed them to speed up my recovery by a day or two.

It seems odd to prescribe an overdose when it isn't even necessary... :-/

Anyway, I've just been prescribed a month's course of nasal-drops. Again, I've read the leaflet, which says three times in bold print that the drops should never be used for more than seven days.

There is absolutely no qualification (e.g. "unless directed by your doctor").

These drugs are for minor ailments. It's not as if I'm in a bad way and don't care about the risks.

Is this normal?! It seems incredibly dangerous for patients to be told to ignore the official dosage limits.

Comments

• Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Some people take steroids on a permanent basis so taking them for a month is hardly an overdose.

Can't comment on the nasal drops.
  • esuhl
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    Some people take steroids on a permanent basis...

Sure. At a lower dosage, the steroids I was prescribed could be taken for longer.
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    ... so taking them for a month is hardly an overdose.

You don't think that taking more than the safe dose as advised by the manufacturer constitutes an overdose? What does "overdose" mean, if not that?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    An overdose is expected to cause harm.

My dog recently had an infection in both eyes, but could only have steroid in one eye, as it inhibits the healing an ulcer, which he had in the other eye. Both lots of drops (the other antibiotic) were for 10 days.

However, the problem recurred in the eye r-that didn't have the steroid, so he was given a course of steroids for that eye and I was told to give him a 'good 10 days' dose', by which the vet meant to dose for about 12 days.

That eye appeared to have another flare, this week, so the vet suggested using the rest of the drops (still in date and stored correctly) for 10 days (but the inflammation disappeared by itself, this time). He wouldn't suggest two lots of 10 days, if it was dangerous.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Have you spoken to a pharmacist about your concerns? They are the experts on drugs.

I would agree with Jackieboy, most of the drugs I take are prescribed off license, outside of their licensed usage. That's not an overdose or negligent prescribing, it's a doctor using their expertise to help me manage my condition.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The reason the leaflet says to not use for more than 7 days, is because most of these things are available over the counter or on the minor ailments scheme, and if you're still sick after a week of treatment you need to see a doctor.

It's that simple. Nothing to do with an overdose in either case; the LD50 of steroids is HUGE.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    If you don't trust your doctor then something's wrong. Would you rather put up with the infection then? You've got 2 options either take the medication or don't take it and get worse. It's not rocket science is it :eek:
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • esuhl
    mel48rose wrote: »
    If you don't trust your doctor then something's wrong.

Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that the NHS killed my father, and when my mother was ill she was fobbed off for well over a year before they even attempted a diagnosis. By then she was so ill that she died, so the NHS indirectly contributed to her death too.

There have been a huge number of other events of sheer incompetence exhibited by NHS staff/systems. So, no I don't trust my doctor over printed advice that is presumably very strictly regulated.
    mel48rose wrote: »
    Would you rather put up with the infection then? You've got 2 options either take the medication or don't take it and get worse. It's not rocket science is it :eek:

I can't believe anyone would be so gullible to not question it. I wonder how many people die every day because of that misplaced attitude...?

I'd also expect drug companies to be required to not contradict professional medical advice. It's not brain surgery, is it?! :p
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    As a matter of interest, were the steroids Prednisolone and what dosage were you prescribed?
  • esuhl
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    The reason the leaflet says to not use for more than 7 days, is because most of these things are available over the counter or on the minor ailments scheme, and if you're still sick after a week of treatment you need to see a doctor.

It just seems strange that the leaflet explicitly contradicts the doctor's advice. Most drug info leaflets say something like, "Do not exceed the stated dose unless advised by your doctor".
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    It's that simple. Nothing to do with an overdose in either case; the LD50 of steroids is HUGE.

Don't steroids cause problems with the immune system? Is it possible that the LD50 of steroids might be huge, but the complications that can occur indirectly due to overdose might be significant...?

I really don't know much about medicine, so maybe I'm worrying about nothing. But it makes it hard to know who to trust when the people making the drugs are giving different advice to doctors. There should be some kind of campaign to stop people being given contradictory messages over something so important.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that the NHS killed my father, and when my mother was ill she was fobbed off for well over a year before they even attempted a diagnosis. By then she was so ill that she died, so the NHS indirectly contributed to her death too.

There have been a huge number of other events of sheer incompetence exhibited by NHS staff/systems. So, no I don't trust my doctor over printed advice that is presumably very strictly regulated.

I can't believe anyone would be so gullible to not question it. I wonder how many people die every day because of that misplaced attitude...?

I'd also expect drug companies to be required to not contradict professional medical advice. It's not brain surgery, is it?! :p

You don't have to use the NHS. You're free to pay for private healthcare if your confidence in the NHS is quite so low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure