Esta application for USA rip off!

Comments

• AHAR
    AHAR Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    photome wrote: »
    I checked the first three [STRIKE]links[/STRIKE] advert slots [STRIKE]found[/STRIKE] sold by google, 2 of then showed the charge at the top of the page, the third one wasnt so clear.

the [STRIKE]4th[/STRIKE] 1st link was the official site

the [STRIKE]5th[/STRIKE] 2nd link which was very clear to see was, How not to pay more than $14 for an ESTA.

Just fixed that for you.
    Some people just automatically click whatever Google puts closest to the top of the page, advert or not, oblivious to the difference.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    photome wrote: »
    Why is it that people dont take responsibilty for their own actions these days? It always someone elses fault!

Of course it is...personal responsibility is going the way of the dodo, don't you know?

http://adblockplus.org/en/

Then you don't even see any google ads...I don't. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • I have also done the same out of ignorance paid USA e services 59 euro what I'm more worried about is if it is it a fake ESTA ?
    I can swallow the over price charge for being so stupid but I'm going to be distraught if it's fake as well does anyone know

Thanks guys xx
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    go to the official ESTA site, put in your details into the Update or Check the Status of a Previously Submitted Authorization to travel to the US and see if it recognizes you as having a valid ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Today 28/08/2012 I paid £44.99 to USA- travel -visa ltd. Why ? Because I foolishly used a sponsored link - top hit on Google .The number of times I have warned other people to be careful & I go fall for it myself . I was sure I was on the official site & was expecting to pay around £15 . But the price wasnt next to the visa entry details. My excuse - I did it in a hurry because I was so sure I couldnt get caught. As I filled in the visa card details I felt all was not right & should have pulled out. Dont criticise me please - I know it's my fault. I post this to alert others who think they can never be caught. All the signs were there - must have been the alcohol at lunchtime that let down my defences. My girlfriend says my problem is that I am a speed freak & do ( nearly!) everything in a hurry .
  • email sent.
    Big mistake using the link on Expedia for your USA ESTA service. Should have read the small print leading to the USA site. Have just been 'robbed' of over £80 for something I should have paid $30 for. What a mug.

Will not get fooled again though!

Regards. A Mug
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I got stung with one of these sites earlier. It's definite misleading and the service price is well hidden at the bottom of the page. I entered the official site address, but ended up with google results when the page didn't open. I clicked on a link near the top of the page and didn't see any service charge price, so I proceeded to submit 2 applications. Ended up costing me $148. So, they have in the refund policy, a 30-day "no questions asked" refund, which I've written in requesting. These service sites may be legal, but they are misleading, especially when you consider how often people have to apply for an esta. I plan to get my refund and I am following their refund policy, but I bet I will be asked questions. I oh applied a few hours ago, so they should issue me a refund quickly, less the government fee of course.
  • Goz83
    Goz83 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I just received an email from USA Travel Visa to say that my application has been cancelled and I will not be charged for their services. That's a good sign. I only hope they cancelled both transactions. Will be keeping an eye on the credit card statement.
  • Sooki
    Sooki Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I nearly got duped with an EHIC application on what was an official looking site, it asked for my card details after I entered all the information in. It was only then I realised I'd been had as I know they should be free and didn't proceed any further.

I'm quite concerned as these sites could easily be scammers, as far as I'm concerned such things as ESTA s & EHIC's shouldn't be allowed through 3rd parties.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sooki wrote: »
    It was only then I realised I'd been had as I know they should be free and didn't proceed any further.

Esta is'nt free even through the official site

Sooki wrote: »

I'm quite concerned as these sites could easily be scammers, as far as I'm concerned such things as ESTA s & EHIC's shouldn't be allowed through 3rd parties.

So do you buy your milk from tescos or direct from the dairy? These sites are just agents and its a matter of choice if you use their service
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport