Should I quit my job without another one lined up

Comments

• Work out your finances with your partner, make sure you can go a fair while if the worst happens and make sure your partner is supportive of the decision, that is just as important.

If it checks out then give your notice, no point sacrificing your mental health and the last thing you need is serious anxiety because all of that will have to be undone, it wont just go away magically.

All well and good listening to people here who don't personally care about you but you should try to follow your gut instinct.

Hope something works out for you.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you are confusing accepting that this job is not for you and you need to look for another one asap, and thinking that the only way to do so is to resign.

As TBag said, you don't need to be out of work to be incentivised to feel that finding another one is an emergency. You are clearly overly stressed currently, so it is already an emergency. What you need to balance is the stress of dealing with your current job against the stress of seeing your savings reducing whilst not getting anywhere close to finding another job with the same salary.

3 months can be a long time to look for another job or not. The higher the pay, the less the opportunities coming forward. It depends on so many factors and how picky you are. Would you be willing to relocate or travel? You've already indicated you would want less responsibilities, so making it even more difficult to find such a job on a the same salary and as you've already find, companies would be suspicious as to why you would want to reduce your responsibilities at this stage.
    In terms of the gap on the CV, this would be put down to wanting to spend time with my family - something that is true.
    I personally wouldn't put this down. It indicates that you will always put your family first which could put them off. Everyone wants to spend time with family, but by virtue of going for a high paid job, you accept that you make some sacrifices when it comes to your family even if you always strive for a better work-life balance.
  • FBaby wrote: »
    I think you are confusing accepting that this job is not for you and you need to look for another one asap, and thinking that the only way to do so is to resign.

As TBag said, you don't need to be out of work to be incentivised to feel that finding another one is an emergency. You are clearly overly stressed currently, so it is already an emergency. What you need to balance is the stress of dealing with your current job against the stress of seeing your savings reducing whilst not getting anywhere close to finding another job with the same salary.

3 months can be a long time to look for another job or not. The higher the pay, the less the opportunities coming forward. It depends on so many factors and how picky you are. Would you be willing to relocate or travel? You've already indicated you would want less responsibilities, so making it even more difficult to find such a job on a the same salary and as you've already find, companies would be suspicious as to why you would want to reduce your responsibilities at this stage.

I personally wouldn't put this down. It indicates that you will always put your family first which could put them off. Everyone wants to spend time with family, but by virtue of going for a high paid job, you accept that you make some sacrifices when it comes to your family even if you always strive for a better work-life balance.

I accept this job is not for me and I need to find another one.

I guess the issue is that I am looking for the perfect "new" role - which doesn't exist. My family will always come before any career or job, even if that means me earning £10k a year. The issue is that the current life style we have warrants the salary. We have had a look at finances, and due to childcare, even if we cut down to the essentials, I am still looking at a job £35k-£40k. By essentials, I mean just food, water, electric, gas, mortgage.

I never wanted high paid job. I turned down jobs on significantly higher salaries than I am on at the moment, as the people I see on high wages are either never married, unhappily married or divorced. I don't want that - my family life is everything to me. The struggle I have is that I want to give my family everything - which requires money. So there is a balance to be had.

And that is the issue. If I look for lower paid, less responsibility jobs, then the employer asks why and thinks I lack ambition. And that is true - I will always put my family before any job.

I just can't see a way out and it is effecting me. I am almost depressed, but if I go to the Doctor and they sign me off, then again future employers will hold that against me as they will request the sick leave days.

My thoughts of resigning also stem from a fear of being sacked. Now this may be true and I may be sacked, but my judgement maybe clouded due to how low I am feeling. Resigning just feels like I will be free from all the issues I currently have and I will be in a better place temporarily. I accept that this then brings in other issues longer term, but I am happy to temp to keep money coming in. I guess temping will give me a feel for many different work places too and may give me more of an idea of what makes me happy if you see what I mean.

Thank you for all your input and more responses are gratefully accepted.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    I guess temping will give me a feel for many different work places too and may give me more of an idea of what makes me happy if you see what I mean.

That is very true - it's a very good way to get a feel for different businesses and the kind of environment that suits you best.

I would go into a temping agency and be quite honest with them about your plans and why you're thinking of resigning etc. They are normally quite receptive, especially if they think they can get you lots of work.

Not all agencies are created equal though, so would advise registering with as many as you can find locally.
  • Scorpio33 wrote: »
    No I did see that, its just I wanted more information really. What effect would it have on me etc.

I would have at least 7 months money behind me and I have been looking for a year. Plus with using credit cards (Not ideal I know), I am sure I can stretch that time to a year without working.

Its also the fact that having never been unemployed (despite being made redundant 3 times) I have no experience of what this feels like.

Stop thinking of it in purely financial terms and how you might feel about it - voluntarily making yourself unemployed for that length of time is likely to have a devastating effect on your career and possibly lead to really long term unemployment.
    I guess the issue is that I am looking for the perfect "new" role - which doesn't exist. My family will always come before any career or job, even if that means me earning £10k a year. The issue is that the current life style we have warrants the salary. We have had a look at finances, and due to childcare, even if we cut down to the essentials, I am still looking at a job £35k-£40k. By essentials, I mean just food, water, electric, gas, mortgage.

If family comes first, you don't really want the stress of a high paid job and your mental health is suffering perhaps it's time to change things. Maybe that means a bit of a lifestyle change. Your current lifestyle clearly isn't one you're happy with, you're unhappy and stressed at work and that has an affect on your home life. You're only happy with it financially. Is that more important?

You can change what you do with finances, you can't force yourself to be happy in a stressful job.

Can you switch energy providers and save money? Can you get a better deal on your internet/phone/mobile costs? Can you shop for better deals or try some cheaper brands? Could you cut down on the amount of electricity you use? Say you watch TV every night, could you turn everything off and go for a family walk or something? Do you use a cashback site when buying online?

There are loads of suggestions on these forums for saving money.

If you found a job with less hours could your wife do some extra hours to make up for the drop of income?
  • If family comes first, you don't really want the stress of a high paid job and your mental health is suffering perhaps it's time to change things. Maybe that means a bit of a lifestyle change. Your current lifestyle clearly isn't one you're happy with, you're unhappy and stressed at work and that has an affect on your home life. You're only happy with it financially. Is that more important?

You can change what you do with finances, you can't force yourself to be happy in a stressful job.

Can you switch energy providers and save money? Can you get a better deal on your internet/phone/mobile costs? Can you shop for better deals or try some cheaper brands? Could you cut down on the amount of electricity you use? Say you watch TV every night, could you turn everything off and go for a family walk or something? Do you use a cashback site when buying online?

There are loads of suggestions on these forums for saving money.

If you found a job with less hours could your wife do some extra hours to make up for the drop of income?

We could cut down a lot, but as I said this will save me from the £50k job to a £35k job.

The issue is that the more hours my wife works, the more childcare costs. We pay a fortune on childcare and can't get around that until both kids are at school. That will be in 3 years time, so perhaps in 3 years things will get easier?
    We could cut down a lot, but as I said this will save me from the £50k job to a £35k job.

The issue is that the more hours my wife works, the more childcare costs. We pay a fortune on childcare and can't get around that until both kids are at school. That will be in 3 years time, so perhaps in 3 years things will get easier?

Have you looked into money saving advice/tips on here? If not, you might find new ways of saving money. Worth looking considering that you may struggle financially before finding a new job that pays enough. Cutting down by just not buying a specific thing of course saves money, but there are other ways to save too that you might not have thought of.

If you're doing less hours can you not look after the kids to cut down on childcare costs?

As it is now, your options are to either continue working in your current job while trying hard to find another or leave. If you leave, as you want to do, that will mean changes.

It's your decision what you choose to do and no one else can make that decision for you. Either way there's going to be compromise; stress and financial gain or less stress and less financial gain.

Maybe it would be a good idea to look at how you could reduce your stress (aside from leaving your job, of course).
  • I would give notice
    Look for another role and if one doesn't come along contract it's what I have been doing and it hasn't affected my CV or ability to get offered roles
  • Stop thinking of it in purely financial terms and how you might feel about it - voluntarily making yourself unemployed for that length of time is likely to have a devastating effect on your career and possibly lead to really long term unemployment.

Of course that's is possible but a it's very pessimistic outlook. Anyone with the talents to get a £50k job in their mid-30s shouldn't have that much difficulty in finding something which suits them. Just be honest with recruiters. There's no shame in admitting to making a wrong turn in your career and making a fresh start. Better that you do something about it now than wait another 5-10 years.

I'd also look at short term contract work where companies need some extra staff for a few months for a specific project. You don't have the long term security but it's a good way to get experience a different environments and the basic pay is often higher (but other benefits such as pension contributions, health insurance, bonuses etc lower or non-existent). Also as a contractor you typically don't get bogged down in internal company politics as you are just there to do a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure