Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 8:23PM
    brat wrote: »
    No?

If you make factual statements that you cannot substantiate, you pay the price in lost credibility. That may not bother you, but it is reflected in the attitude of posters because they stop taking you seriously.

As can be seen in this thread.

You got it.....No!

Not important to me if a couple of strangers disagree but I care what works for me and my daily ride. The internet is full of the for and against. Its not conclusive. So asking me to substantiate it before I give my view is just silly.

personal opinion Personal experience I said. Over years and thousands of miles.

Like I said...........you do the proving lights and bright clothing have no effect on safety. I look forward to it.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    You got it.....No!.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160
    First Post
    Forumite
    Does it not keep you awake in bed!
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    I don't have a fixed view because I don't care.

I don't care if people want to wear helmets either, but I do care if they're made compulsory, and arguments of the kind you make fuel that agenda even if you say you personally are not looking for compulsion.
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2017 at 5:29PM
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I don't care if people want to wear helmets either, but I do care if they're made compulsory, and arguments of the kind you make fuel that agenda even if you say you personally are not looking for compulsion.

People's view and experience shared is welcome on an open forum debate. If anyones agenda is to stop that, I would be concerned as should they.
  • scd3scd4 wrote: »
    If anyones agenda is to stop that, I would be concerned as should they.

My agenda is to stop compulsion by challenging the arguments. I think if you cared as little as you pretend you wouldn't get tetchy and abusive when challenged, and then delete the post before too many others see it.
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    Not sure silly exaggerations help the debate but it probably makes the poster feel superior.

Reductio ad Absurdum
    Xbigman wrote: »
    But why only consider safety? Where as I might just be safer wearing a helmet I enjoy cycling without one more.

You're the first on the thread to raise this angle to the debate.

Risk debates invariably start from the premise that risk is undesirable, and that people don't want it, even though this is patently not the case. The examples of people willingly taking risk are as numerous as the motives for doing it, so much so that it would be fatuous to try to list them all, and yet people just carry on debating on a false premise regardless.

It's also equally obvious that each individual has a different appetite for risk, some are timid milquetoasts, and others are cavalier daredevils, but the safety fanatics just carry on telling others how much risk they should want. It's as arrogant as telling people how much sex they should have. As I said upthread, they think they're on a moral crusade to save the world from themselves.
  • scd3scd4
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2017 at 1:59PM
    jack_pott wrote: »
    My agenda is to stop compulsion by challenging the arguments. I think if you cared as little as you pretend you wouldn't get tetchy and abusive when challenged, and then delete the post before too many others see it.

Reductio ad Absurdum

You're the first on the thread to raise this angle to the debate.

Risk debates invariably start from the premise that risk is undesirable, and that people don't want it, even though this is patently not the case. The examples of people willingly taking risk are as numerous as the motives for doing it, so much so that it would be fatuous to try to list them all, and yet people just carry on debating on a false premise regardless.

It's also equally obvious that each individual has a different appetite for risk, some are timid milquetoasts, and others are cavalier daredevils, but the safety fanatics just carry on telling others how much risk they should want. It's as arrogant as telling people how much sex they should have. As I said upthread, they think they're on a moral crusade to save the world from themselves.

Straw man argument.

Pleasseeeee.........no posts were abusive, the mods are welcome to have a look. Dont go to the depths of lying to somehow prove your arguments have merit.

Like I have said and said and said I know you don't like the answer because it does not suit your agenda but it wont be changing soon. I challenge you to find one post in which I say I want it to be compulsive.

I really dont care. I like riding because of the health aspect and the freedom it gives me from a car. Time in traffic, fresh air and the peace. I ride plenty but a bike is nothing more than a workhorse so I dont even care about the sport of others who ride. I wear one because of my own experience and route. Ohh and because it makes the wife feel better. Which matters to me. I share my view when asked. If others see risk different, good luck to them. I dont spend much time worrying if strangers wear seat belts, eat 5 a day or work mates ear protection. I do however get annoyed with some who dont have lights on the footpath.

It stands to reason people see risk differently. After 20 years in the oil game I have a different respect for acids, caustics, solvents, pressure........and I could go on. You do know you not educating me, dont you??

Dont you be so arrogant and think you know what a person thinks or feels. Who are you that I need to pretend too. You have an elevated view of yourself. Dont go getting all tetchy and abusive when challenged that others don't share your view.

No moral crusade from me. Why would the average joe care what happens to strangers. I dont even see some of my own extended family!! lol How would it benefit me???................lights on a bike however is another matter.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    elverson wrote: »
    On average you'll live longer by cycling to work than driving or getting the train.

Thats because dealing with heavy traffic or getting on public transport, people tend not to want to live long. I dont drive, but I do have a bike with a 1000+cc engine. Used to love it but know I feel like chucking the thing in a !!!!!!! river. Hate motoring on a molecular level. I can also maintain my bicycle myself.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • An interesting view on how bicycle helmets are threatening bicycle culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 October 2017 at 7:24PM
    An interesting view on how bicycle helmets are threatening bicycle culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY

Some great points made in that video.

I love the motoring helmet they sold in Australia in the 1980s. The instructions suggest that it may be particularly beneficial at well-documented times of increased risk, such as:
    • After consuming any alcohol.
    • When other drivers are likely to have consumed alcohol especially 4:00PM to 2:00AM Fridays and Saturdays.
    • After dark and during twilight.
    • In rain or when the roads are wet.
    • During long trips when you may become tired.
    • Within five kilometres of your home or destination.
    • Christmas, Easter and long weekends.
    • If you are aged under 25 or over 60.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kSNVKrktKUQ/ShMeZQXvhLI/AAAAAAAADfw/sw7HueQ5azI/s1600-h/Motoring+Helmet+014.jpg

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/05/motoring-helmets-for-real-high-risk.html
    Motoring+Helmet+014.jpgMotoring+Helmet+014.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport